Twenty

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

(S1 E8)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

The two Pogues drop their bikes on the grass outside of the Château, slowly making their way inside. John B separates from Parker as she calls out, "Popeye? Kiester? Jayje? Anybody here?" She walks forward, glancing around. "Hello?" When she turns around, she can't find her best friend, which makes her panic for a second.

"Johnny?! Where'd you go?" She hears a faint sniffle coming from Big John's office, and she knows that's where she will find her best friend. When she walked into the office, she found John B on the floor with a picture of his father in hand. She lets out a sigh before sitting next to him, wrapping her arm around his shoulders.

He lets out another sniffle before quietly saying, "I miss him so much." Parker nods, pulling the boy even closer and pressing a kiss to the top of his head. "I know you do, Johnny. I know. I do too." This seems to break John B's walls down, and he begins to sob into Parker's shoulder. She lets him cry for as long as he needs to, sitting with him in silence until he calms down. 

When she hears him stop crying, she quietly says, "We should do something for him. Like, send him off. Officially. Like, a burial at sea. We could send him off through the marsh. Or at least, a picture of him." John B nods, liking her idea. He stands up, before turning around and offering her a hand. "Let's do it." 

They assemble everything that they need before walking down towards the water. John B places a candle on the little raft he had made, lighting it with Parker's lighter. He then gently places the picture of his father on the raft, pushing it out into the water. The two Pogues stand and watch the light get further and further away, knowing that this was their final goodbye to the man who took care of them for almost all of their lives. 

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

The next day, John B and Parker met up with the rest of their friends on the dock. John B was relaying to all of them that Ward had managed to get every last bar of gold out of the well, leaving their efforts with no reward. 

"You sure he got everything?" Kiara questioned, hoping that her best friend was wrong. John B shakes his head, frustrated. "Every bar. The whole enchilada." He began to pick at his cast, tugging on it. Parker subconsciously scratched at hers while watching him. "Look, it's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit." Finally, John B pulled his cast off and tossed it somewhere on the dock, earning a disappointed look from Kiara. "John B--" She starts, but he interrupts her. "What, Kie? It's a hairline fracture. Who cares?" 

Kiara groans at her best friend's stubbornness. "You should care. Your arm's gonna be messed up for life." The brunette girl looks over at Parker, watching her pick at her own cast. The Maybank girl looks up at her and puts both of her hands up. "I'm picking at it, but I swear I'm not gonna yank it off." Kiara nods, glaring at John B again.