eight

I was happy to finally get some time with my friend

I was happy to finally get some time with my friend. It was late at night when he knocked on my door. He took a seat beside me on my bed before going off on a tangent of his time so far and how beautiful it has been outside of the wall.

I smiled seeing him so happy. His hands moved in wild gestures as he described his adventures in worm territory and how it felt to wear a stillsuit. I noticed he had developed a slight tan, his cheeks more darker than the last time.

"It was beautiful," He repeated in awe. "I still can't believe the sandworm was so big! It felt like I was in one of our video lessons, seeing it for real." He used his arms to emphasize the length of the sand-worms.

His smile was contagious and it brought a warm feeling to my chest. "Someday I'll get to see the desert." I sighed.

Paul's smile turned sympathetic. "You will, one day." He gave me a pointed look. "I'm serious though, Lia. Never go into the desert alone. If you need a partner I'll always go with you."

"Thank you," I told him, although I knew as much as he wished to always be with me that wouldn't be the case.

We laid there in silence. Paul's head had found its way into my lap where he loved to insist I play with his unruly hair. It was often enough to put him to sleep.

I looked down at my friend who had his eyes closed. "Are you happy?" I asked him.

He nodded into my lap. "Of course." he opened his eyes to meet mine. "Are you?"

I paused before nodding my head as well. "I think so."

He swallowed and pursed his lips, thinking before he spoke. "I don't want you to feel trapped here on Arrakis, you know. Don't feel forced to stay here just because I'm here."

I shook my head no. "That's not why I'm here. I wanted to follow my family, and I wanted to stay close to you. I'm not here for your benefit, trust me."

He breathed a small laugh, his eyes closed as he adjusted his head in my lap. "I know you're here for you, but that's not what I mean. You're allowed to be your own person now, Lia. Even if it means you have to be far away from me. I'm okay with that."

I stared up at my ceiling, unsure of what to think or say. I continued to drag my fingers through his curls in a therapeutic motion while I pondered that thought.

"I wan't to be my own person," I answered finally in a light whisper. "I just don't know what that that means for me. Everyone here has a purpose, but not me. Not yet, at least."

He was silent. I didn't know if that meant he agreed with me or if he was still deciding how to respond. It wasn't until I heard the snores and looked down that I realized Paul had already fallen asleep.

***

"Ophelia!"

I turned around to see a beaming Lady Jessica heading in my direction followed by another young girl I didn't recognize. 

"Ophelia," Lady Jessica repeated with a smile as she came to a stop in front of me. She gestured to the girl beside her. I finally noticed the blue hue to her eyes which must have meant she was Fremen, although I couldn't think of any Fremen who would cooperate with the Bene Gesserit.

"Who's this?" I asked, smiling at the newcomer.

"This is Yuma. I've appointed her to be your lady-in-waiting." Jessica shared a smile with the young girl.

It took a moment for me to process her words. "Lady-in-waiting? With all due respect, I don't think I need a lady-in-waiting, Lady Jessica." I told her kindly. "I don't do much already as it is." I looked over at the girl. "You'd have very little to do."

Lady Jessica's eyes softened. "That's exactly why Yuma is here to help. With Paul busy, you need a friend to keep you entertained."

It clicked in my mind what it was she was doing, and I grinned at the revelation. 

"Please, take this time to get to know each other." Lady Jessica motioned for the two of us to start talking as she took a step back.

I smiled at her, wanting her to know how grateful I was. "Thank you, My Lady."

She waved away my thanks. "Go on, start chatting you two."

The Lady walked away to let the two of us meet. I looked back at Yuma nervously, but Yuma appeared to be more nervous than I. I looked her up and down, she was dressed in a simple uniform of warm colours and a light head covering. The bright blue hue of her eyes couldn't go unnoticed against the neutral tones of her outfit.

I smiled gently, wanting her to know it was safe for her to relax. "It's nice to meet you Yuma."

She smiled back nervously. "It's nice to meet you as well, Miss Halleck."

I made a face. "Just Lia works, don't worry about it, please. I'm not anyone important worth addressing."

"If you say so, Lia." She grinned. "Although it seemed as though the Duke's son would say otherwise."

My eyes widened at this revelation. "Paul? When did you meet him?"

We made our way slowly through the long and endless corridors, exploring the building I had already managed to become so familiar with.

"At the same time I met your mother." She answered. "Both he and your mother had very nice things to say about you, but him especially. It convinced me to work with you."

I felt my face flush at the thought of Paul speaking of me. "Really? What did he say."

Yuma shrugged. "A bit of everything, honestly. He told me that you're skilled in fighting and are quite knowledgeable on Arrakis already. He also said that you're an easy person to work with, and that you'd be an even better friend."

This made me smile. Of course I'd expect nothing less from my best friend, but I still felt something pull at my heartstrings.

"He seems quite fond of you," She added. "He was also very worried for your safety. He had me assure him your safety would be my priority above all. I've got to make sure you don't leave Arrakeen without permission and to keep you out of trouble."

"I'll try to make that last one easy for you, but I can't make any promises." I joked with her. If my assumption was correct and Yuma was in fact a Fremen, I'd have no doubt in her combat skills and there'd be no better person to keep me safe.

I jumped at the sound of guards yelling around the corner of the hall. Before Yuma could fulfil her duties of keeping me from trouble, I was already making me way towards the noise. 

"Quickly!" I heard one guard yell from ahead. "It's the Duke's son!"

I felt my heart drop.

*** 

happy 1 week anniversary to this story lol! thank you all for your positive feedback and support. when you guys interact with my stories it makes all the work so rewarding !

once again lmk what you think!

with love,
via <3