8. Country club

After the day with the pogues, I wave them goodbye as they drive away in the "Twinkie" back to the cut. I walk back to the spot on the beach and notice the beer cans that littered the sand. 

I sigh, picking up every piece of tin.

Sarah, Kie, and I all had one thing in common. We loved the environment and sea animals. It was one of the reasons why we all became friends in the first place. When Sarah and Kiara were friends, we all helped the baby sea turtles get to the water. It was one of the best memories I had of us girls together.

Once all the rubbish was gone, I head towards the country club to put the cans in the bin. I push open the door with the side of my arm and walk in, looking for a bin nearby.

"Y/n! Come here!" I hear a voice call for me. I snap my head in the direction that the voice was coming from. 

It was Sarah. She sat with Topper, Kelce, and...

Rafe?

Fuck. 

I look around once more and spot a bin, making my way towards it to discard the empty beer can. I dust my hands off before walking towards the group.

"Hey..." I greet nervously.

"Sit down! Lets get some drinks" Sarah says, patting the seat beside her. The seat also happened to be beside Rafe as well.

I stare at the seat for a little longer than needed but quickly snap out of my trance.

"Let me just get something to cover up... I'll be right back" I smile.

"It's okay y/n. Everyone comes in their bikini. Just sit downnnn. I need to tell you everything about last night". Sarah was clearly excited to tell me all the details about her relationship with Topper but I just scrunch my nose.

"Okay gross. I'm gonna go." I cringe, about to walk away.

"Nonono stop. I was kiddinggg. Please just sit down..." she pleads, giving me her puppy dog eyes.

I smile and give in, sitting in the spare seat beside her. I could feel Rafe's stare on me but as soon as I look over, his eyes diverted to somewhere else. I look down at my fingers and played anxiously with the strings of my bikini.

"Alright...what's the plan y/n? How are you going to spend your summer in Outerbanks?".

I look up at Topper who asked the question and I think for awhile before answering. "Catching up with everyon-"

"Cough Cough boring Cough" Kelce states and everyone begins to laugh at his remarks.

"What? How is that boring?" I ask, confused as hell.

"I don't know...if I was spending a summer here, I would get high, get drunk, and like...fuck bitches".

I laugh. "So what? You want me to get wasted and sleep with the whole population of Outerbanks?".

"I mean... the line starts here" Kelce says, opening his arms wide, making me cringe at his words. In the corner of my eye, I see Rafe glare at Kelce who is ignoring him. Rafe's jaw is clenched and he looks as if he was trying to hide his anger.

 Rafe's jaw is clenched and he looks as if he was trying to hide his anger

I shrug it off and continue whatever was left of that conversation. We talk some more before we all decide to go home.

Kelce gets into Topper's car and Rafe quickly leaves on his bike. Sarah came to the club with Topper but since he has to take Kelce home, I decided to take her home.

Sarah sits on the passenger seat and I get into the drivers seat, reversing out of the parking spot and driving towards the Cameron resident.

"Y/n you should sleepover. I'm like so bored at home" she suggests. 

I look over at her before turning my attention back onto the road. I mean I don't have anything better to do so why not.

"Sure. Let me just go to my house and pack a few things" I agree. 

She nods and I change route.

"So how was surfing with the pogues" Sarah questions.

I couldn't tell if she was genuinely asking or expressing her disapproval.

"Oh well um. It was nice" I answer vaguely. "Great waves today".

"Yeah... well I saw John B this morning" she states.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"He works for my dad so it was probably nothing but..." Sarah pauses. "He was taking scuba gear off the Druthers to get them topped off".

"Really?" I ask.

Kie and JJ said he was getting bait.

Weird.

"Yeah. We were having breakfast outside when I saw him".

"Maybe he was just doing as he says" I defend.

Sarah sighs. "Maybe...".

Once we arrived at my home, I open the door and realized that no one was there. Sarah and I walk upstairs to my room and she takes a nap while I pack some pajamas and my makeup bag.

I walk to the bathroom and take a quick shower to get the salt out of my hair. Walking out with a towel wrapped around my body, I walk over to the open suitcase and put on a pair of black lace underwear as well as a tube top and skirt.

I walk over to the bed where Sarah is sleeping and gently shake her. She slowly wakes up, rubbing her eyes.

"Lets go." I say and Sarah nods, following me down the stairs and out of the house. I put the duffel bag in the back seat and watch as Sarah falls back asleep while I drive to the Cameron's house.

Once we got there, Sarah walks silently to her room and I trail behind her. She must be really exhausted...

As soon as she enters the room, she jumps onto her bed and falls asleep. I giggle at her behavior and decide to just let her get her rest.

Closing the door to her room, I walk over to the stairs and make my way to the kitchen to get a drink. As I walk down the stairs, I see Rafe climb the stairs towards where I assume is his room. He makes eye contact with me, causing me to move slower so I don't trip and fall at his intense gaze.

Breathe y/n. Breathe.

When he walks past, his broad shoulder brushes against mine. The smallest action was enough for me to become flustered. The sound of a room closing snaps me back to reality and I could feel my cheeks burning as I continue my trail down the stairs and to the kitchen.

I grab an empty glass from the cabinet and pour myself a cup of cold water to soothe the heat I was feeling.

Why do you do this to me Rafe Cameron?