12

The room fills with a hot, stuffy, awkward silence which is very unusual for me and Rafe. Mabel just went down for a nap after falling asleep on Rafe and we both sit in the living room filling the blank air with loud huffs or awkward hums. My mind wanders back to the messages from earlier. Does he actually like me? Does he really want to tale me to midsummers? My mind fills with billions of questions in an instant, but the main Question on my mind; Would i say yes? I have planned, and awaited and dreamed of the day that Rafe Cameron would ask me to be the first girl he takes to midsummers. But now that the question is here, i dont know what to say. I would say yes in an instant. Its Rafe Cameron, the boy i have dreamed about my life with since i was six years old. But here i am, and none of it has gone to plan, and im just not sure I am right for him. He deserves so much better. He doesn't deserve a girl that will tie him down or hold him back. A girl with a child. And midsummers would be hell. The looks and the whisperes and the tables of people leaving because i am there. But it would be fine because i would be there with him. So i would say yes, if he asked me, but i would know he deserves a lot more, because i know what its like to be the odd one out. And i don't want that for him.

The day progresses but our conversations dont, staying dry and bland which is rare. I offer to leave but Rafe insits in stay the night. He insists that we invite the guys over tonight. He insists that they bring the girls who were hanging out with them. He insits that its just a small party, and there wont be many people there, but when the whole county of kildare comes to tannyhills doorstep he lets them all in. I rush upstairs with the loud echo of speaker blasting behind me. A storm blows creaky whistles through the hallways as i approach my room, Mabel sleeping softly inside. I pack my bags quickly and wake Mabel, knowing its probably best if we go before the party escalates. I lift her in to my arms and hold her tight as we weave through dancing bodies and clouds of smoke, the odd wandering eye giving us dirty looks. I find Rafe finally, sitting in his dads study with Topper, Kelce, Daisy and two other girls i have never met before. The air is fresher in here and the presence less unwelcome. I talk to Daisy for a minute, catching up. We're becoming closer everyday. I finnaly find a minute after saying hi to everyone to go to Rafe, tapping him on the shoulder lightly.
"Hey, i um, i think im gonna head home." I say sheepishly mumbling on my words.
"No.... No stay, dont leave." He slurs his words, his eyes dialated slightly. Hes drunk.
"Im sorry Rafe, ill come by tomorrow maybe but i think Mabel just needs to be home right now." I say, just as Daisy takes Mabel from my arms, noticing how i was getting weak. I murmur a thank you to her.
"Wait... okay! if youre really going then i have to give you a lift back home." He slurs hid words even worse this time, the strong smell of alcohol slicking his breath.
"No rafe, youre drunk. Its fine i can find another way back, just drink water tonight and be careful, yeah?" I tell him and he nods. I grab Mabel and say goodbye and goodnight to everyone and head back into the sweltering crowd.

I push Mabel softly against my chest as i get swallowed by herds of swaying teenagers. I finnaly reach the door, shuffling my way to the clothing rack which had my coat on it for the past couple of days. I left my phone in the poket after charging it and i grab it out, trying to find the uber app as i tap blankly on the screen. A boy watches me, his eyes glued to the still black screen of my phone as it doesnt switch on. He looks vague familiar but i just cant place it. I know for a fact ive met hime before but i mustve been drunk that night.
"Phone out of charge?" He shouts over the music, standing to my side, practically hovering above me.
"Yeah.." i nod, looking up at him, "You wouldnt mind if i used yours, would you?" i ask.
"Have at it," He says handing me an unlocked phone.
"So sorry... i just need to call an uber." i explain.
"I can give you a lift if you want." He says, sweetly.
"Ermmm,"
"i know it weird. Like im a total stranger, but i was just leaving anyway." This is the best offer ive gotten so far, and Rafe wouldn't have let him in his house if he wasnt a even semi decent person.
"Okay,"
"Sorry... i dont have a baby seat though,"
"No its fine she can go on my lap," I smile. He smiles and grabs my jacket as he opens the door, waiting for me to step out. I look behind me before doing so, not suspecting anything but almost hoping for someone to stop me. Rafe walks through the crowds hurriedly in my direction, but i immediately assume its for another reason. Untill he stops in front of me and turns to the man rage seeping from all his pores. He knocks him to the floor, a familiar thud bouncing of my eardrums as i realise who he was. It was Toppers boring cousin. The man from that night. The one who spiked me.

His face hits the floor in slow motion as the backlash of blood from his mouth sprays the floorboards. My guts churn as i shroud Mabels face from the scene, almost throwing up having to watch it myself. I leave the door immediately after needing fresh air and alone time. I need to think. As i get down to the beach a more sober Rafe follows behind me, his tall figure casting shadows on the light expelled from the house.
"Can you please leave Rafe." I say, still walking in the other direction.
"No... no i cant."
"You didnt have to do that. I can protect myself." I immediately regret that. Im so thankful for him, but he needs to realise i can fight some of my own battles.
"He was the man from that night, Thats why he wanted to give you a lift so bad."
"I know... Im sorry thank you Rafe i just- i just dont need sticking up for all the time. You could have told me that in a different way."
"i know i just, i got so mad seeing him there. Talking to you. Something just came over me." He says, his tone getting damper, sadder. "Im really really sorry Valerie. I dont deserve you." Silver tears drop down his face highlighted by moonlight so bright the look like rivers of gold. He put his head between his arms, his tall muscular frame now looking small and childly as he stands there comforting himself. I go over to him, my shoes filling with sand as i walk, steps getting heavier. He wraps me in his arms as soon as in near him, Mabel snuggles softly between us as we hold eachother tightly. After some minutes i lean back wiping soft tears from his face, my hand grazing softly agaisnt his cheeks. He looks at me, his eyes sparkling in the night like hes glass, reflecting my light back onto me. He leans in and causes butterflies in my stomach. His hands wrap around my waist and one on mabels back as he kisses me softly and passionately. And it flips my whole world upside down.