32. Sneaky Studies

For the next few days, Mr Ambrose kept me much too busy for me to think of a new plan. He used me as his personal monkey, sending me up jungle trees at regular intervals to check our course and see if we were being followed. But after a few days, he seemed content that I had given up, and let up on me a little.

Big mistake.

I had thought long and hard about how to achieve my goal, and finally had come up with a plan that I knew could not fail. I broached the topic one morning while we sat in a circle, consuming our meagre breakfast.

'Mr Ambrose?'

'Yes, Mr Linton?'

'I was thinking...'

'How unfortunate.'

'I was thinking that maybe now would be a good time to start teaching me how to shoot. Have you changed your mind?'

That was about as sensible a question as asking a warthog if it planned on becoming a fairy in its future career, and the answer came quickly, as expected.

'No. Be silent.'

But that was only the first part of my plan. The real fun was just about to start. Ignoring Mr Ambrose, I conjured up a smile on my face and turned to the only other person in the camp.

'Karim?'

Startled, the bodyguard glanced up at me, the look on his face supremely disdainful with a hint of surprise mixed in, like a vestal virgin propositioned by a common plebeian. (Except for the gigantic beard and sabre, of course.)

'Yes?'

'Will you teach me how to shoot?'

Karim raised his chin. 'I walk on the path of righteousness! Nothing you can say could induce me to teach anything to a creature like you.'

'Is that so? Well, in that case...' Hopping to my feet, I skipped over to him, and before he could draw away, whispered something in his ear. Under his tan and beard, the Mohammedan went pale.

'You wouldn't! Not even a creature such as you...'

I gave him a charming smile. 'Worse than an Ifrit, remember? So, what do you say?'

For a moment, just a moment, a titanic struggle took place on the poor man's face – then his shoulders sagged.

'I shall teach you.'

'What?' Mr Ambrose's voice was as sharp as a razor. 'You most certainly shall not!'

The bodyguard half-turned towards Mr Ambrose and bowed, his expression mournful. 'Pardon me, Sahib. But in this case, I will have to follow this creature's orders over yours.'

For one instant, one brief moment of bliss, I actually saw the expression of surprise cross Mr Ambrose's face. 'What did you just say?'

'It is so, Sahib. The intrigues of this evil creature are too powerful for me to resist. I pray you excuse me now, Sahib. I have to go contemplate my future sins.'

And he marched off into the jungle with a mournful expression on his face.

Slowly, Mr Ambrose turned to me, his eyes flashing. 'What did you say to him?'

'I threatened to take the rest of my clothes off if he didn't comply,' I told him, grinning from ear to ear. 'Spiffing idea, don't you think?'

From the non-expression on his face, I gathered he didn't share my opinion in that regard.

'Well...' Sighing, I got to my feet. 'I suppose I'd better go after him and start my lesson. Will you let me have a loaded gun or will I have to threaten poor Karim further to get one out of him?'