1.1 This Side Of Paradise

Edited: 10-23-21

This is a story about a group of five friends, John B, JJ, Esperanza, or Hope as they sometimes called her, Kiara and Pope, and their mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.

Welcome to The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth.

It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses.

Two tribes, one island.

All right. There is Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. So, guess where they don't live.

And then, there is the south side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... drumroll, please......the Pogues.

That's them.

Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Okay. So, the downside of Pogue life is they're ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life? They're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. Atleast they did. Until one summer seemed to ruin their lives. How one mysterious job and treasure hunt changed Esperanza's life for the better. And worse.

Esperanza "Hope" Ansiedad Mendoza, The latina friend. A criminal mastermind, being that she'd spend her free time watching cop shows, or criminal minds when the power was on. Being the shortest of the group standing at only 5'2. She's a Gemini. Hope was the nickname given to her by JJ and John B since 5 year old JJ couldn't pronounce her name. It's been what everyone has called her ever since, except recently it's been starting to die out. Now only her close friends call her Hope occasionally. Her mother was a nice woman just drunk and grieving. Her father had shot himself in the head about 9 months ago a week after one of her best friend's dad went missing. It was sort of suspicious to her but she tried not to think about it. Everyone in the group has had a thing for her at least once. Esperanza spends most of her time with the pogues surfing or fishing, or taking pictures of some of the spots around the obx. Esperanza lives by the phrase 'whatever it takes' Rafe Cameron and Esperanza dated when she was in 9th grade before the two ultimately broke up after a feud was started between her Kie and Sarah, he was her biggest mistake. JJ and John B had caught Rafe making out with some girl at a kegger the pogues threw, going to confront him she walked in on the two having sex. The boys comforting their heartbroken, strung out friend for a month before she moved on. Or at least tried to. She's smart and a socialist. Esperanza was a cheerleader,cheer captain, for the schools football team. Along with basket ball and track. Esperanza's dad has always wanted her to go to her to get an athletic scholarship to Berkeley, UCLA or something but she wanted to go to film school. Esperanza's Summer job is a surfing instructor for the young kids and tourist. Although she hasn't picked up one shift this summer because of hurricane season. She volunteers at the animal shelter during the school year because she's always wanted a dog.

Kiara "Kie" Carrera, The rich friend. Kiara is only a pogue by association. Esperanza met Kiara in 7th grade because the boys always kept them away from each other for the fear of them hating each others guts. Esperanza had a crush on Kie for like 3 weeks when they first met. The two had dated for like a month in the eight grade before breaking up and not speaking for a week leading for John B to create the rule 'no pogue on pogue macking' When the girls finally made up they became closer than ever. Everyone in the group has had a thing for Kie as well. Esperanza and Kie Would spend their weekends going to protests for BLM and cleaning the oceans rallies. Esperanza and Kie have a matching Tattoo on their ankles paid for by Kie's dad. Kie has the moon and Esperanza has a planet on the side of her right breast. An Ex friend of theirs got the sun. Kiara's parent's were like Esperanza's second parents. Ever since they were invited into the 'island snobby rich folks' club they always invited Esperanza to go to events like midsummers. Kiara and her family got rich off of a family institution. Also known as the most known restaraunt on the island. The wreck. Esperanza never really worked there but she'd help out sometimes. The wreck is a total cash flow. The pogues come here for free food atleast once a day. Kiara lives by the quote 'live young wild and free'