22

My mind is reeling as I walk to our room

My mind is reeling as I walk to our room. The last few days have been perplexing but what just happened has topped the list. Charlie's apology is not what I'm confused about -that apology was within my rights and I'm not going to praise him for finally giving it to me. Rather, it's what followed.

I wasn't going to attend the Halloween party anymore-not after the way I embarrassed myself in front of all the attendees. Most especially I don't think I can face Rex after the way I acted. But I can't get Charlie's words out of my head.

You and I, the Halloween party, just as friends.

The mere idea of being anything other than rivals sounds as terrifying as it is thrilling. I must admit, despite the issues we've had in the past, the thought of being more than friends with Charlie has crossed my mind but I'd always remind myself that it would never happen. Not only can we not stand each other, but we are also not compatible. And I know It sounds awfully cliche but guys like Charlie don't go for girls like me. If this were a book or a movie, the drop-dead gorgeous jock would go for the silent girl in the back of the class but this is real life.

And reality sucks.

After just a week of knowing him, a part of me always craved being around him. I'd find myself thinking about him at the oddest of times-most times I was thinking of different ways to murder him since he was in the way of something that mattered so much to me. And it didn't help that for the first few weeks, he seemed to be everywhere I was. He'd pop up like a freaking Jack in the box disrupting my peace.

It's crazy to think that almost two months ago, I only knew Charlie as the school's star player who was most likely a myth since not a lot of people saw him around. I had only seen him a couple of times around campus without knowing he is Charlie Murtaugh. I always could tell he was someone important-from the way he carried himself to the usual crowd around him but I never knew exactly who he was.

But there has always been that familiarity from the moment he saved me from the embarrassment of being late to Byrne's class to now. Like I'm supposed to know him but I don't.

Charlie was scarce when I was a freshman -probably healing from his accident whilst drinking and sleeping his way through campus. Pair his myth-like presence with my lack of interest in sports and I wouldn't have known the star athlete if he sat opposite me in a Starbucks booth.

I let out a sigh when I'm in the comfort of our temporary room (which I only seem to use in the daytime.) I had told myself I'd strictly be carrying out operation dinosaur whilst avoiding anything Charlie related but seeing him again had me more confused than a chameleon in a bag of skittles.

Realising that I came here because I wanted to see him when I should want nothing to do with him wasn't an option. I couldn't let myself accept that-even when I actively put myself in a situation where I was locked in a room with him just so he could see me.