xvi. i see a séance in the making

XVI. I SEE A SÉANCE IN THE MAKING

"i'm sorry," kie said walking by where holly, briar, and john b were sitting in the wreck

"i'm sorry," kie said walking by where holly, briar, and john b were sitting in the wreck. "you're staying where?"

"tannyhill," john b said for the third time.

"so you're living with sarah cameron," kie confirmed.

"yeah, kiki," holly said, rolling her eyes. "get over it."

"don't tell me to get over it," kie snapped at holly. "and don't call me kiki."

"okay, look, the only reason i'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? and it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where i was about to go if ward didn't," john b continued his explanation.

"hey," pope said suddenly. "so do you have a membership to the clubs now? or does baby mama still have to get you in?"

"i don't know, pope," john b shook his head.

"what about those little golf carts they drive around? you get one of them?" jj asked with a smile.

"does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?" pope continued.

"if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine," kie said. "but i'm letting you know now that i'm not doing anything with sarah. i don't even wanna do anything with briar but i'll tolerate it for now."

"do you guys see her here?" john b snapped.

"briar? yeah, i do," jj said.

"no, sarah, dipshit," john b rolled his eyes. "and there's no sarah. a little focus would be fantastic. we've got the map, right?"

"it's out of whack 'cause the guy was ganja'd when he drew it," jj said.

"it's cause the coast has changed," kie informed the group.

"so we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed," pope said.

"what about the old forts?" holly suggested.

"battery jasper," kie said looking at the younger valentine with a smile.

🃏

"we're in battery," pope traced. "right here. so if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here."

"somewhere over there?" holly pointed with her question.

"no," kie took holly's wrist in her hand gently. "over there." briar watched with raised eyebrows.

"right," pope nodded, looking confused at the girls.

"over there?" jj asked, oblivious to the tension that had just occurred. "guys, that's not tannyhill, that's a subdivision."

"tannyhill plantation was the entire island," john b explained, his arm loosely slung around briar's waist. "it got sold into smaller pieces over time."