xxvii. come back to me

XXVII. COME BACK TO ME

sarah eased open the door to rose's rental property, briar close behind her

sarah eased open the door to rose's rental property, briar close behind her. the duo walked up the stairs, sarah sniffling into briar's arm.

"sarah," john b breathed. "briar, beautiful."

"where have you been?" john b held briar's hand up the last few steps.

"ward," briar gasped. "ward, he. . . he. . ."

"it's okay," john b pulled briar in tight, sarah staying back. "it's okay, beautiful. i got you. i got you."

"it's getting really bad out there," sarah sniffed. "shit."

briar looked to the window and saw a sheriff's car pull up. "no." her face crunched up in horror.

"we gotta go," john b tugged briar's hand. "okay?"

"okay," sarah nodded. briar just hummed, tears still rolling fast down her cheeks.

"we're good," john b whispered as the trio paddled away on surfboards. briar was folded up on her knees so she wasn't putting pressure on her bump. "we're good."

🃏

"you okay?" john b asked as the girls panted.

"yeah, i'm fine," sarah nodded.

"all good," briar groaned from where her wrists were sore from paddling.

"do you really think they'll be able to steal the boat?" sarah asked honestly.

"please don't go," briar began to cry again. "i can't do it without either of you."

"it's okay," john b tucked briar's hair behind her ear. "we'll be okay. you'll be okay. and yeah, jj's involved with the boat, so. . . yeah."

"shit," the teenagers groaned as they heard sirens once again and continued their endless paddling.

"john b, where are you going?" sarah asked. "the boat ramp's this way."

"look, guys, i've gotta go home," john b said slowly.

briar laughed out loud. "no way."

"yeah, what?" sarah said. "no. there'll be cops crawling all over there."

"yeah, and that's okay," john b sat up.

briar shifted to sit up. "no, it's not. i prefer you in mexico to you in jail."

"look, i don't want you to come, either of you," john b continued.

"what do you mean?" sarah snapped. "i'm doing this for you, for briar."

"the gold from crain's house," john b started. "it's at the chateau. my dad's been looking for that for years. it's all i have left of him. i gotta get it. and we're gonna need the money."