The Darkest Hour

The next day Jo is sitting in the courthouse next to Kie and Sarah as they watch the bailiff bring in John B.

Jo holds onto Sarah as they watch John B in his orange jumpsuit walk to the defendant's table.

"He doesn't good at all." Jo comments.

"They're gonna kill him in there." Sarah cries.

They watch as the judge comes out of her chambers and sits down at the stand.

She bangs her gavel causing Sarah to jump.

Jo and Kie both wrap their hands around Sarah.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge declares.

People start talking around them.

Jo puts her hand over her mouth to calm herself from crying.

"Your honor he's 17!" JJ stands up shouting.

"Stop!" Pope tries to stop him.

Jo stands up and puts a hand on JJ's chest.

"Please stop. Don't make this worse." Jo whispers to him.

JJ's pain-filled eyes connect with hers briefly.

They haven't spoken to each other since their last argument, but she has always been the voice of reason for him.

"We're gonna figure it out John B!" he breaks eye contact with Jo to shout to John B.

The bailiff starts pulling John B away.

Sarah runs towards them.

"John B! John B!" Sarah's cries for him are heartbreaking.

He turns around to see her just as heartbroken and scared as his friends. People start pushing her back.

"No!" Sarah cries.

"Let go of her!"

"Don't touch her!"

Kie and Jo pull Sarah away from the people.

"Come on let's get out of here," Kie states as the girls hover around Sarah and take her to the door.

They walk down the steps to hear people still talking.

"Justice is served."

"He had it coming."

"Is this a joke? Like are we in hell right now?" Kie states.

Jo is walking down the steps beside Sarah and JJ who grabs her hand for comfort.

"We should have never come home." Sarah voices.

"They're gonna kill him in there guys." JJ comments.

"That's what I'm afraid of to Jay. This can't be happening right now." Jo says as JJ pulls her closer to him.

"I'm sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works."

They stop and hear the current mayor speaking to Ward as they walk past the friends.

"Are you kidding me right now?!" Jo shouts to them catching their attention.

"Of course, you're saying the system works, because it was set up to protect you and other people just like you." Jo spits out in disgust.

"He will have his day in court, Joanna. A jury will decide the final outcome. You know how the system works. Your father will be hearing about this little outburst." the mayor directs to Jo.