𝐥𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐩

[ lvii

[ lvii. hilltop ]

october 14th, 2012

➸➸➸

"WHAT'S GOIN' ON, RICK?"

Astrid's eyes fluttered open to the deep, gravelly rumble of her husband's voice, a sharp questioning that cut through the silence of the world around her. Exhaustion clung to her like a woolen cloak as she found herself nestled against Daryl's sturdy frame. His arm was tucked tightly around her, and as she lifted her heavy eyelids, she caught the glint of guarded steel in his eyes. Daryl's attention was fixed on something outside the RV window above their heads, and she could feel the tension radiating from him. With a quick glance downward, now, she saw his hand already reaching for his pistol.

"We've got a crash ahead," Rick answered, piercing through the last fragments of dreams that had clung to Astrid's consciousness. "Looks like it just happened."

Shaking off the grogginess, Astrid pushed herself into an upright sitting position and instinctively reached for Bailey as the RV came to a sudden stop. Turning her attention to the window, she lifted the blinds to reveal a small car lying flipped on its side in a deep ditch. Skid marks scarred the road, and even from a distance, Astrid could discern the freshly turned walkers hanging from the shattered windows.

Jesus eyed the wreckage through the windshield and then leaped to his feet. "That's one of ours!"

He immediately made a break for the unlocked door, forcing Rick, Michonne, and Abraham to spill out after him. Glenn and Maggie quickly followed suit, but as Astrid attempted to rise, Daryl's hand on her shoulder held her in place. "Stay here," He said. "You too, Bailey."

"What if this is a trap?" Astrid challenged. "You want us to be separated?"

"I want you to be safe," Daryl insisted.

"We're safest together," Astrid argued. By now, their group had gathered around the wreckage of the vehicle and its rotting victims. She grabbed Bailey's hand, and pushed around her husband, heading towards the open door. "Come on," She called back to Daryl. "We don't want to get left behind."

Daryl muttered beneath his breath, but Astrid chose to ignore it. She knew her capabilities. Exiting the RV, the overwhelming scent of fresh blood and gasoline assaulted Astrid's nostrils. Bailey clutched her tighter to her hand, and together, they approached the others. A frown creased Astrid's forehead as she took in the sight of Rick currently holding Jesus at gunpoint.

"If this is a trick, it won't end well for you," He warned.

"My people are in trouble!" Jesus pleaded as he attempted to peer around Astrid's leader for any sign of survivors. "We don't have many fighters. I know how it looks, but I'll play it out. Can I borrow a gun?"