𝐥𝐱. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬

[ lx

[ lx. there he is ]

october 14th, 2012

➸➸➸

LATER THAT AFTERNOON, ASTRID stood on one of the double balconies of Barrington House, perched high above the sprawling Hilltop Colony. From this vantage point, she currently eyed a flickering inferno as it consumed one of the community's own fallen. Nathan's fate was sealed in the flames, a coward condemned to an ignominious end.

As the smoke curled higher into the bright blue sky, Astrid turned away, instead surveying those gathered around her. Daryl stood on one side of her body, while Rick anchored the other. At her feet, Bailey sat cross-legged. Further down the balcony were Michonne, Maggie, and Glenn. They were all awaiting news from Jesus, the bearer of tidings about their potential partnership with Gregory.

A gust of crisp wind swept over Astrid, and Rick exhaled, as if reawakened by the cold. "They have food," He noted, breaking the silence. "We don't. We don't have enough of anything—except us—what we can do. This is the trade. He has to take it."

"It's going to cost us something," Maggie murmured. She was currently the only member of their group leaning entirely against the balcony railing, eyes still fixed on the desolate landscape beyond the high walls of Hilltop.

At her friend's words, Astrid also pondered the cost concealed within, and she, too, found herself questioning the worth of this new trade. While others appeared open to the optimism of Daryl's grand plan—to eliminate all the Saviors in a decisive blow—Astrid's unease only deepened. She supported her husband unconditionally, but from what they had been told, and what they had already seen firsthand, the Saviors were cruel and cunning. They would likely not yield easily. Would not be eliminated in a single hit.

Because while Alexandria may have boasted ammunition and fortified walls, the Saviors surely possessed their own arsenal and resources to uphold such a ruthless reputation.

Was the promise of food worth the promise of war?

Abruptly, a door swung open behind them, shattering Astrid's contemplation. Jesus stepped onto the balcony, and the group turned as one to face him. "Gregory's up," He announced, prompting Bailey to rise beside Astrid. "He wants to talk." Rick moved towards the door, but Jesus intervened, gesturing towards another. "To Maggie," He clarified. "He wants to talk to Maggie."

All eyes shifted towards the brunette, who merely sighed in annoyance. Astrid was not surprised by Gregory's new preference. It was wise for him to steer clear of her for the time being. And, as Rick suggested earlier, it was Maggie's turn to assume the mantle of diplomacy. To navigate Gregory's schemes and, hopefully, navigate them more judiciously—and gracefully—than Astrid had before.

Glenn's ensuing nod held unwavering support as he squeezed his wife's hand. "You've got this," He reassured her.

But Maggie, perhaps caught in the grip of doubt, did not move until she felt Rick's steadying touch on her other shoulder. "Deanna was right about you," He said. "You can do this."