Chapter twelve

It does not surprise me when Sarah tells us there's another party tonight, but what does surprise me is that it's at my place.

"You have to, you'll make so many friends here. It's the best way to do it." JJ says.

"You just want an excuse to drink," I say.

"I don't need any excuse," He says.

"That's true," Pope agrees.

"I don't know guys, it's a small place, I don't want anything getting broken," I groan.

"You don't have to invite everybody in Outer Banks," Kie says.

"Yeah, or you can always shut the party down if there are too many people showing up," John B adds.

"Yeah, then I'll be known as the loser who shut down her party because she's afraid," I say.

"Guys, this is not up Hannah's alley. She would never throw a party back home and she lived in a mansion," Lola says.

JJ snickers and fire burns through my body.

"Fine, I will do it," I say. "But I'm trusting you to invite sensible people,"

"Will do sweetheart," JJ grins.

***

Three hours later I completely regret my decision. Why do I let Lola get to me?

My house is full of people I have never seen before. I'm trying to have a good time but I'm too paranoid that something is going to go wrong.

"Didn't think you were the type to have a party like this," A voice says from behind me.

"I was peer-pressured," I say, turning around to meet his eyes.

"I'm a little offended that you didn't invite me to this rager," He jokes.

"I wasn't in charge of inviting anybody," I say truthfully. I'm not even sure how he got invited here.

"What are you looking at?" He asks, looking behind his shoulder.

"Nothing, just making sure nobody is breaking or stealing anything," I say and he chuckles.

"Nobody will do that. There's hardly anything in here to steal or break," He says looking around the house.

"I know, I'm slow with unpacking," I say.

"Why don't you have a drink, calm your nerves," He says,

"When I get drunk, I get plastered. I need to keep an eye on my house. I don't want anything to go wrong," I sigh.

"Have a drink Hannah. I'll make sure everything is fine," He says.

"Oh really?" I say, cocking my eyebrow. "You'd do that for me?"

"Of course," He says. "But you owe me,"

There it is.

"So you aren't generous, you almost had me," I say and he smirks.

"I've been nothing but generous to you, baby," He says, coming close to my ear. I shiver, but quickly try to remain normal again. I don't want anybody seeing me this way with Rafe.

"Go get a drink, I'll keep an eye out, okay?" He says and I nod.

***

I'm glad Rafe forced me into drinking and letting loose. I haven't worried about my house getting destroyed since my first shot. Now I'm about six down and moving on to my third beer.

"Let's dance, I haven't moved in like five minutes," Lola says and drags me to the living room.

The only time I let myself dance like a whore is when I'm with Lola. At the few parties I used to go to, Lola and I always performed the "Hola special," where we just grind on each other. It gets the crowd of guys going though.

"Hola special?" Lola asks and I nod. My eyes are already closing as my hips feel the beat of the music. Lola's hands are on my hips and they slowly ride up my sides. I can hear a lot of conversation stop and I know people are starting to focus on us now.

"Holy fuck, you guys can't stop me from what I'm going to try and do later," I hear JJ say and I grin. I knew this would drive him crazy.

After a couple more minutes of dancing, I open my eyes and they laid on Rafe's. He's standing with Topper and his friend Kelce. Their mouths are wide from excitement but Rafe's is glued shut. At first, I thought he was angry, but now that I'm focusing on him, I can see that his eyes are full of lust.

When the song ends, Lola grabs my face and plants a quick kiss on my lips. It's something she always does and something I will never get used to, but by the look on some of the guy's faces, it's something they definitely could get used to.

"Hannah, you whore. That was sexy," Kie says when I rejoin their circle.

"She learned from the best," Lola says with a confident smile.

I drink the rest of my beer and lay it in the empty box. I look around to see everybody getting back into their conversations but my eyes stop when they meet Rafe's again.

He's looking at me with the same look he was giving me earlier and now I'm not so sure what it means. I wish he would smile now and then just to show that he isn't angry all the time.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I say but nobody seems to notice I said anything.

Instead of going into the bathroom, I stop in the empty hallway and lean against the wall. My face is becoming flushed and I'm praying that I don't get sick.

I could feel Rafe's eyes on me when I left the group, and I have a feeling his legs are going to follow.

"That was very out of character," He says, leaning against the door.

"I'm a different person when I'm around Lola," I say.

"I see that. I'm not sure which person I like better though, they are both pretty sexy,"

"Normal me is not sexy," I laugh.

"Yes, I think maybe sexier than drunk, teasing dancing you,"

"You are into nerds or losers?" I ask with my eyebrow raised.

"You aren't a loser, maybe a nerd" He grins.

"You, as well as everyone else, probably thought that was hot because of Lola. She tends to outshine me,"

"I didn't even notice Lola was there until Topper pointed it out," He says. "Couldn't take my eyes off of you,"

I look down to hide my blush.

"For somebody who doesn't do relationships, you say a lot of things that a boyfriend would," I say.

"I just like seeing you blush and get uncomfortable." He says and brings his cup to his lips.

I watch his tongue slowly grace over his lips after he finishes his drink, collecting the drops that didn't make it in his mouth.

"If you want to kiss me then you can just ask." He says and I blush again.

"No thanks." I say.

"Not a fan of PDA I take it?"

"Not a fan of your sister knowing that we kissed." I say. "She would be pissed."

He leans in closer and my body tenses.

"Well let's hope she doesn't find out about me licking your-"

"Rafe!" Sarah yells, causing him to stand tall again. "Get away from her."

"It's fine Sarah, he wasn't doing anything." I say.

"Well you look uncomfortable so I don't believe you. I told you to stay away from her, go prey on somebody else."

Sarah gives me a concerning look but I only focus on Rafe. He sends me a wink before leaving us.

"I'm sorry about him." He says.

"It was really fine." I say.

"I just don't trust him, I don't want to see you hurt. You don't want to know how many people I've seen hurt because of him."

"He won't hurt me, we are hardly friends." I lie.

I really hope he doesn't hurt me, but if he does, I have a feeling Lola is going to be involved.