Chapter 27

I was on John B's lap, playing with his hair, Pope checked to make sure Ward was out.
Pope said" He's out."
John B said" Alright. So Tres Rocas, that's where Neville said we would find the guy. Solana, that's the archaeological site. I think that's where they're taking my dad. Neville gave me this map." He pulled out the map," He said it should be... here." Sarah took it,
She said" This? This is the map we're following?"
" He's the only guy who's been there."
" Pretty janky, John B."
Pope said" Oh, boy."
Cleo said" I've been in river towns like this. Major danger, you know?"
" Don't worry. We're gonna get there, find Singh, boost your pops. And then we'll find El Dorado. It's a layup."
John B said" You sure he doesn't know anything?"
Sarah said" Not from me."
" Okay, first thing, we gotta find this guy named Jose and then head upriver."

We got off the plane,
Cleo said" I told you, it's the wild west out here." I held onto Pope's shoulder, looking around,
Sarah said" Dad, what are you doing?"
Ward said" I'm coming."
" No, you're not. You got us here like you said you would. Now go on to Guadeloupe. You need a doctor."
" Let me help, please."
" No! Get back in the plane. You promised you weren't a part of this. No."
" Okay."
" Let's get the hell out of here."

We got out of the taxi, Pope held my hand,
Sarah said" Thank you. Gracias."
Pope said" There's a lot going on."
Cleo said" Looks like it's a local holiday."
John B said" So we got to assume that Singh's already gone upriver. We're looking for a guy named Jose. He's gonna take us to the dig site."
Pope said" Jose. Do you have a last name or..."
" I do not have a last name."
Cleo said" Shit. It's gonna be like trying to find a teardrop in the ocean."
Sarah said" I'm assuming river guides probably hang out by the river."
Pope said" Yeah, but if they're anything like the guides at OBX, they're probably getting drunk on holiday."
" So, let's start with the bars."
" Okay."
" Divide and conquer?"
John B said" Let's do it. Munch, you're with Pope, okay?"
I said" 'm hungry, JB." They all looked at Pope,
Pope said" Yeah, okay." He opened his bag and gave me a bag of cheesy whales, he smiled at me." Y'know, I'm starting to think everyone relies on me to make sure Skye is fed." Cleo held my hand as we all split up.

Cleo crouched down,
She said" Stay right here, Skye, and if anyone tries to touch, you scream Cleo!" She shook my shoulder, I smiled, nodding my head,
I said" You'll kick their ass!" She laughed,
" Yeah, definitely!" She got up and walked into a building, I smiled and poured cheesy whales into my mouth.

I was with Cleo and Pope,
Cleo said" Apparently, nobody knows anything." I held Pope's hand, looking up at him.

Cleo said" No? No Jose. They don't know anybody named Jose. Like I supposed to believe that shit, man. They don't look friendly."
Pope said" Run. Go!" He lifted me up, as they started running, I held onto Pope tightly.

I heard JJ say" Cómo estás, amigos?" I looked at him, I smiled,
Pope said" What the... Hey! Run!"
Cleo said" We gotta go! We gotta run!" We met them, I jumped into JJ's arms,
Kie said" What's happening?"
Pope said" Singh's men are right behind us. They're after us. We gotta think of a plan."
JJ said" Okay, why don't we just hijack the bus?"
Kie said" This bus? That only goes 10 miles an hour?"
" I'm just spitballing, Kie, okay?"
Pope said" They're coming now! Hide!"
Cleo said" Fruit stands! Duck!" We ran over to stand and they all crouched down, JJ held me tightly. They peeked up and we saw the bad guys drive away, they all stood up." Welcome to South America."

Mike said" Got anything to protect yourself?"
JJ said" Uh, kinda working on that part."
" Here." He handed JJ a bag,
" What's this?"
" Machetes. You'll need 'em. I'm adding the cost of this rig to what you already owe me. I don't expect to see it again anyway. Look, I asked around at the landing today. Your buds did leave this morning, but I was able to get directions to El Tesoro. Pretty loose. Only Jose knows the real way, but get you in the right zip code, maybe."
Kie said" It's a start."
Pope said" Thanks."
Mike said" No. Don't thank me. Start praying. And JJ."
JJ said" Yeah? You owe me, dude. Ten times. Good luck." JJ put me down, I walked onto the boat, Mike pushed us off, JJ started driving.
———
We were hidden off the river, the boat finally passed us,
Cleo said" JJ, you were right. That's Singh and his men. But they're not looking for us."
JJ said" Yeah, they're moving real quick. They're looking for John B and Sarah. They're gonna know where they're headed. We gotta go. They're gonna need us." We started moving again,
" Stay back. Don't get too close."