08 | Awful day

I collapse onto my bed, exhausted from the long day. Today was the student council meeting, where we discussed ways to improve our school and also started preparations for the upcoming homecoming in the fall.

As the president, I bear the weight of staying on top of everything and organizing most of the events. On top of that, I have to ensure that my grades stay high. It's no wonder I'm feeling so exhausted.

Determined to make the most of the rest of my day, I decide to be productive and head for a shower. As I stand under the warm water, I let it wash away the stress that I had throughout the day. I take my time washing my hair, massaging my scalp with shampoo, and allowing the soothing sensation to relax my mind.

This is when I truly deal with peace—no teachers, parents, school, stress, and most importantly, Aiden.

After finishing my shower, I wrap myself in a fluffy towel and make my way back to my room. After I'm done getting dressed, I sit at my desk, damp hair dripping onto the surface. I open my backpack and take out my homework.

Just as I start to immerse myself in my work, I hear my mom's voice calling me from downstairs.

Sighing softly, I realize it's time to take a break. "Alright!" I yell back, trying to put some enthusiasm into my response. Slowly, I gather my things and head downstairs.

The house is currently quiet. The only sound being heard is from the kitchen, where my mom is. It looks like dinner's ready.

"Yes?"

"Set the table." She states that her attention is focused on the simmering meal on the stove.

I frown. This is what she called me here for?

My mother shot me a sharp glance, and I quickly got to the task. With my height of 5'7, I swiftly reached for two plates from the high shelf and placed them on the table.

"Is dad coming?" I inquired, although I already knew the answer.

"No, your father will be working late tonight," my mom replied.

I sighed inwardly, realizing that my question was pointless, as I was well aware of my dad's usual routine.

A few minutes later, mom and I are at the dining table, surrounded by an atmosphere of quietude. The only audible sound is the gentle clattering of the plates as we begin eating.

This was the typical routine with my mom.

Suddenly, breaking the silence, she clears her throat. "So, Zhera, how is school treating you? Are you managing to keep up with your studies?"

I look up from my plate, momentarily pausing to register her question. "Just the typical boring classes, and yeah, I'm studying."

She nods approvingly. "Good, I expect nothing less than an A."

I nod before returning my attention to the food in front of me, but I can't help but feel a sense of frustration. A day will never pass without her asking me about school. Every day it seems like the conversation revolves around school, school, and more school. When will it ever be about anything else?

I shake my head, getting those thoughts out of my head.

No, mom's right, school is important. I get what she's trying to say: I should keep up with my studies and get good grades; that will make her proud.

It'll make everyone proud. So I continue to smile and nod as she continues talking about school, pretending that everything is fine even though it's not.

The next morning

I slammed my locker shut after taking out my books. The weight of the morning had already taken its toll on me.