16 | Final round

"Mom, what do you mean?" I stammered as I stood behind the stands, pulling my sweater tightly around me.

"I said, Where are you, Zhera Estrella Thompson?" she repeated. Fuck, she used my full name. That's how you know she's mad.

"Mom, I'm at the football game at school, the one I told you about a couple of days ago, remember?"

"I do not remember you mentioning that," she responded, her tone stern.

I felt a sinking feeling in my chest. How could she not remember? I vividly remember telling her about it and her giving me permission to go.

I whined, "But mom, I did! You said yes. I vividly remember that moment."

"Young lady, this is what you do—lie and not prioritize your studies. This is not how I raised you."

I frowned, feeling a wave of sadness wash over me. It hurt to hear her accuse me of lying and not caring about my studies. That's like the number one thing I prioritize.

I knew deep down that I had been honest with her and had been working hard in school. But right now, it felt like all my efforts were being disregarded.

"Mom, I'm so-"

Before I could finish my sentence, the call ended abruptly, leaving me with an unfinished sentence hanging in the air.

I slowly put the phone down. taking a deep breath. I am not about to let her ruin my night, nope.

I wiped away any traces of frustration from my face and began making my way towards the stands, but before I could get too far, I heard a familiar voice. It was Ciara. "You said you were coming," she said, her tone filled with disappointment.

"I know, but you promised me, this isn't the first time you know." I'm guessing she's talking to Michael; she sounds hurt.

I heard her take a sharp breath and then abruptly end the call. "Fuck!" she cursed, rubbing her eyes.

I approached her. "Everything alright, C?"

Her eyes widened momentarily, but she quickly transformed her expression into a soft smile. "Yeah, let's head back," she replied, taking my hand and leading me through the bustling crowd.

Ciara always has a way to hide her emotions; it was hard to tell what she was actually thinking of and how she was feeling. The best I could do was listen and wait until she wants to talk.

"Where are you guys? You missed like half of the game. I was pretty lonely without you two." Kehlani pouted while chugging her soda.

Ciara rubbed her shoulders. " We just got caught up with something, what's happening?"

"Well" Kehlani began, "Aiden is about to kick the ball to whoever and if it makes it in, our team wins a point."

"I really don't get this game," I muttered under my breath. Suddenly the crowd erupted in cheers. I looked around, confused, but stood up like everyone else, clapping my hands.

"What happened?" I whispered to Ciara, and she shrugged her shoulders. "No idea."