TWENTY NINE - A LOSS

It had been two weeks since Kaia had last laid eyes on Tommy. They'd moved locations three times over that fortnight period, John and Curly had been out to visit them four times, but without Tommy.

Kaia's feelings were hurt. She knew there was probably a reason Tommy hadn't joined John to come and see the family, to see her, perhaps he was too busy trying to bring them all home safely. Regardless, it made her heart hurt. She missed him dearly and seeing his brother only poured salt into the wound.

There hadn't been a single night where she hadn't dreamt of him. His voice, his smile, the scent of his skin and his clothes, it was all so vivid every time she closed her eyes. Nighttime was the only time she felt any solace in the situation, drifting into a mindless state of happiness for a few hours before her conscience returned and she was faced with the cold, hard reality that was her life.

"Kaia," Bonnie burst through the caravan door, his face panic-stricken and whiter than a ghost. She said nothing, her face just falling as she felt the energy from her brother, "You better come and see this."

She followed closely on Bonnie's heels as they made their way through the woods. Her mind was racing, wondering what he could've seen that caused the colour to drain from his face and his eyes hollow of life.

It was only when she saw her father stood with his arms folded at his chest looking up to the sky and the dark hoof that she realised.

"You don't have to look, Kaia, I-"

Bonnie held his hands on her shoulders, keeping her far away enough so that she didn't have to see anything she didn't need to. He could've just told her back at the caravan, but he didn't have the heart to do so.

"What happened?" Kaia whispered, peering over her brother's shoulder to see just enough to make her stomach turn and her eyes water.

Bonnie shook his head, "We found her this morning when we went to collect wood. She had her-" he stopped himself, "There wasn't anything we could do to save her, Kaia. It was the Italians."

"How do you know?" She sniffled, her bottom lip quivering as she continued to steal glances at the horse laying lifeless on the ground, even though she didn't want to look.

"There was a letter pinned to her, another black hand."

"Oh God..."

Kaia turned around and began to make her way back to the caravan. She was almost certain she was going to throw up, her insides lurching into her throat as she walked. Her heart was breaking at the same time, not only for the horse but for Tommy, too. How could she possibly break the news to him that his horse was gone?

She had a thousand questions without any answers. Once she reached their campsite again, she began to pack up any belongings that were scattered around outside the caravans, knowing that it wasn't safe for them to stay there any longer.

Bonnie and Aberama returned an hour or so later, remorse on their faces as they helped her pack up their things and start making their way to their next location.

"What did you do with her?" Kaia asked as she clung to Bonnie's waist on horseback.

She felt him tense up at the question, Aberama choosing to answer instead.

"We buried her, Kaia. We did the right thing, don't worry."

It was dark by the time they'd settled in their new home. They were there three days sooner than they'd planned to be and had no way of letting Tommy know they'd moved ahead of schedule.