𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍; independent variables

          𝐑edfield lighthouse

          𝐑edfield lighthouse.

Big Johns's favorite place- according to his son. Hence, the five of them are back in John B's van, conversation floating freely as they speed down the deserted road.

Marlowe fiddles with a neon-green tennis ball in her hand, repeatedly tossing it into the air before catching it again. The rugged ball was found, amongst other things, in the back of the vehicle, working as a perfect distraction from the events that had taken place merely hours ago.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?"

She glances over at John B in the driver's seat before refocusing on the toy in her hand.

"A family heirloom," he continues. "I mean... What better way to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me. Right?"

"Yeah," Kiara answers while peeking at the other three in the back. "It's possible."

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help..." Pope pauses, rethinking his words. "You know..."

"Pope?" John B hints.

The boy finishes his sentence nevertheless. "Deal with your sad feels."

"Bro, you know how I deal with my sad feels?" JJ cuts in, a faraway look trapping his features for a split second. "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies."

The brunette shakes her head, not looking at anyone in particular. She knows there was supposed to be humor behind his words, yet his tone displayed nothing of it.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" The brown-haired boy defends. "My dad's trying to give me a message."

Kiara cautions, "if that helps you believe, John B."

"Look, I-" he heaves a heavy breath. "I don't need a therapy session, okay? I'm not tripping out."

"It's okay to trip, bro, but..." JJ drifts off.

"My dad is missing, okay? Missing," he emphasizes. "You don't know what it's like to have the closest person to you vanish... Just wake up every morning wondering."