𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍; deny, deny, deny

          𝐔nfortunately, it does, indeed, get worse before it gets better. 

That morning, she had stared into the bathroom mirror. Eyes filled with horror, lips parted, fingers grazing her skin with a feathery, almost skittish touch. The area around her eye had turned into a horrifying blend of black and blue, simply overnight, covering her eye like a twisted version of a child's eye patch. 

So, she stayed behind, letting the group wander off to sea without her. 

She knows she'll have to come up with something, and preferably sooner than later. However, the thought of revealing the truth has yet to grow on her. The reason? She's scared of what they'll do. How they'll react. If they'll end up wanting to take matters into their own hands, meddling with something they're better left out of.

Yet, in want to apologize for her absence, and get to know what they discovered, she'd made her way to the Château- only to find it empty. Hence, she's currently parked outside the Maybank residence, figuring it would be her next best chance at locating some familiar faces.

What she usually does whenever she comes over, on those rare occurrences, is to trek around the house through the backside, aiming for the boy's bedroom window. Over the years, she's found that that's a safer alternative. It brings JJ to ease too, knowing she won't risk facing his father due to coming unannounced to their front door. 

This time, the repeating sound of gunshots would've brought her to his backward either way. And sure enough, she finds the blond boy there, a set of hearing protection depriving him of the ability to hear her coming. 

She stands there for a few seconds, watching him fire one bullet after the other. An innocent teddy bear falls victim to his boundless practice, and although most of the shots hit the trunk beneath it, she can make out a few burned holes in the soft fabric of the children's toy.

To gain his attention, she swipes one side of the hearing protection away from his ear. His figure instantly whips around, startled by the unexpected touch to the side of his head.