Prologue

The Outer Banks. Paradise on earth. Or as I call it the hell hole in North Carolina. Let me explain, I'm Baylee Routledge and I'm back here for my dad's funeral. He went missing 2 months ago. They never found a body but they say he's dead. Which means funeral time. I haven't lived in the outer banks in 5 years. I haven't seen my dad in 5 years. I haven't seen my friends in 5 years. and most importantly I haven't seen my twin brother in 5 years. But here I am. I'm back and honestly, I wish I never left.

The Chateau. I never thought I'd be back. I knocked on the door.

"Hello" A brunette girl opened the door.

"Hi I'm-" I started but didn't get to finish.

"Bales" JJ cut me off.

"JJ," I said trying to sound excited but it came off sad.

"John B's in his room" JJ told me understanding I needed to see and talk to John B before anyone else.

"John B," I said but it came out as a whisper

"Baylee," John B said looking at me with tears falling down his face. I instantly walked over and hugged him tightly. I wasn't big on physical affection anymore. It came with bad memories but John B needed me. So no matter what memories came with it he always came first. After John B had calmed down a little we were sitting with everyone else.

"I'm Pope by the way" the Heyward boy finally spoke up breaking the silence.

"Yeah, I remember you. Your dad used to take me fishing" I smiled.

"I'm Kiara" the brunette girl who opened the door earlier said

"Your a kook right?" I asked curiously

"Yeah my parents own the wreak" she said standoff ish and then I realized that came out like I didn't like her cuz she was a kook.

"Well if y'all got JJ to give her a chance then she must be special" I smiled

"Hey" JJ said pulling my hair gently.

"JJ please don't touch me" I said quietly

"Sorry. I was just playing" he said looking at me hurt.

"We should probably get going" I said avoiding looking at JJ.

"Ready?" John B asked me

"No what about you?" I replied.

"Nope"

"When I was on my way back to the outer banks I tried to pretend my dad would be here when I got back.. That he'd be waiting for me. But he wasn't. And as much as I try to pretend he's never going to be. I haven't seen my dad in 5 years and now I'll never get to see him again. When I got the call from my brother I thought he was lying. I thought he was just trying to get me back home and while it wasn't a lie it did get me back home. My dad was a dad to everyone. I mean he basically raised JJ too. I'll keep them, safe dad, I promise John B and JJ will be safe with me. And if somehow someway you are listening; I love you" I said before leaving the funeral I couldn't do it. So I left and I went back to the Chateau.

A few hours later the 4 pouges made their way in. I couldn't figure out how to talk to them so when JJ kneeled down in front of me and asked if I wanted to go to his house stating that we didn't have to talk I couldn't have accepted it faster if I wanted too.

Once we got there he tried to pry but I didn't want to talk and after a little bit he left it alone. Until I kissed him gently.

"Thought you didn't do physical affection anymore," he said pulling away

"I do tonight" I mumbled into his lips as he reattached them to my own. And as you can imagine things escalated. Next thing I know I woke up in his bed.

I remembered everything perfectly and for a second it made me want to stay. But then I remembered everything that's happened. JJ deserves better than someone who's broken. So I left. No note. No nothing. Just like that, I was gone again. When JJ woke he wouldn't know where I went none of them would.

7 MONTHS LATER

"Hey, Baylee. We need you back here something's happened. It's about Dad." John B said from the other end of the phone. He'd been calling for the past 7 months and I haven't answered once but something in me knew I had to answer this call.

"I'll be there in 4 hours" I replied grabbing my important stuff and booking a flight back to outer banks. I thought I wasn't going back that's what I told myself. But, here I was going back. I'd always go back to the outer banks.

Author's Note

Hi Everyone! Thank you soo much for reading. I can not wait for everyone to watch the story progress!! I've already written up to when they get the gold but I'm going to be releasing one part at a time. I'd appreciate it so much if you voted and commented. Love you all <3