Part 4: We're Not Our Parents

"Guys, I knew one of those people" I say the realization dawning on me. I know who that person was.

"Who was it?" Kiara asks.

"He's the one I told you 3 about earlier. He's the one who did all that stuff to me" I spoke quietly know I have to tell John B too.

"Wait what'd he do to you?" John B asked. I just lifted up my shift to show him. Tears welled up in his eyes.

"How'd you know him" he asked wrapping me in a hug.

"He's moms boyfriend" I told him.

"I have an idea but only if your up for it" John B spoke softly.

"I'm okay. I promise" I smiled and so we went to light house.

"Right so your gonna be look out" John B told JJ

"wait why me?" JJ asked confsused

"Becuase your not coming" Pope adds

"Why?" JJ asks getting mad.

"There are independent and dependant variables. Your independent. We don't know what you'll do" Pope adds

"Shut up! Just shut up!" JJ yells at Pope angrily.

"John B can I stay here too. I just need to chill for a bit but if you need me to come I totally can" I ask.

"No you can stay here it's okay" John B replies

"Thanks" I mumble softly

"Right so JJ you stay here with Bales and Pope. If we get seperated we meet back at your house" he told JJ

"Ok just shut up" JJ shouts in reply.

"JJ chill" I told him

"No its not fair I wanted to go" he whined

"Your acting like your 2" I say before sitting down behind the van. He sits down beside me and we stay like that silently for a while until he speaks up.

"Do you think I'm like my dad?" JJ asks

"No not at all. Why would you even say that?" I answered maybe a little to quickly.

"I don't know. It's just sometimes I do things and I think 'thats something my dad would do I'm becoming more and more like him everyday' and then it just makes me think you know?" he tells me. My heart shatters. JJ is the most kind, loyal, loving person. I have never once thought he was anything like his dad.

"JJ. You are so amazing and so so special. You deserve the world. You aren't your dad and your never going to be" I said putting my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah but what if it's like genetic or something?" he asks

"JJ being an asshole isn't genetic. Your not your dad. We're not our parents. Okay?" I tell him gently.

"Okay" he says softly. We lean in and I think we're about to recreate earlier but just before we can police sirens go off and we hop into the van and drive to JJ's as quickly as we can. Well first we made a stop for ice cream per my request because well there's always time for ice cream and no one can say no to me.

MEANWHILE WITH JOHN B AND KIARA

(JOHN B'S POV)

"Hey look. You've go to admit that was kind of promising. I mean my dad, the royal merchant. The ranger, the royal merchant. I mean coincidence? I don't- I don't think so" I tell Kiara.

"It's his job to know about ship wreaks" Kiara fights back.

"Okay, but the royal merchant?" I argue back. I don't understand why everyone can't see it the same way I do.

"That's like the most famous shipwreak of all time. Redfield's one of the most common names in the outer banks. That could mean anything. Look as will goose chases go, this was a really good one" Kiara adds trying to furthur her point. She doesn't believe me either. Point taken.

"Look I don't know. Maybe we missed something at the light house. We should go back. You believe me right?" I ask stopping to face her. I'm not giving up until I find him.

"I think there might be some light to moderate concocting going on at this point. Look I get it" She says. Pity. I hate pity. It's all anyone ever gives.

"Kie, come on" I fight back.

"You miss your dad. I know. I just don't understand why we would put a clue on a compass" She comforts.

"Cause he knew it would come back to me" I shout. She was right. I missed my dad like crazy but that didn't make any of this less true. Instead of arguing with me she just wraps me up in her arms and hugs me.

"Your losing it. You gotta pull it together" she reminds me. When we pull away I lean in and kiss her but she instantly pulls away. That's a little damaging to the ego I'll be honest.

"What was that?" she asks. A kiss duh.

"You. Uh. Shit I'm sorry. I-" I starts paniking I shouldn't have done that.

"It's okay" Kie tells me softly. Her lack of judgement does not help what so ever.

"Oh God, I'm an idiot" I mutter looking away from her.

"No, it's okay. It's okay." she comforts.

"It's just cause I'm freaking out about my dad and dcfs stuff" I try to reason.

"Stop. It's okay I get. I know. I don't even mind. It's just the rules you know?" She states. Wait- she doesn't mind?

"Right. The rules" I say. Why'd I create that stupid rule anyway.

"And Baylee would probably kill us" She says with a smile. True.

BAYLEE'S POV

JJ and I decide to go on a drive and we see John B waiting outside the police station. JJ pulls up beside John B and John B hops in. 

"So what'd you do?" JJ taunts.

"Doesn't matter" John B deflected instantly.

"Come on dude. It's just us. What happened?" JJ pries.

"Just leave it alone for fucks sake" John B snaps

"JB what the hell?" I say reaching my hand to the back to slap him. We all just sit in silence as JJ drives towards Popes.

"I kissed Kie" John B tells us breaking the silence.

"What?" JJ practically laughs.

"Are you mad?" John B questions looking at me. 

"No. I can't control who you date. Is it my favorite thing in the whole world? No. But we can't control who we fall for" I say sneaking a quick glance at JJ.

"Thanks but I don't think it's going to work between Kiara and I anyway" John B said to which I just shrugged not really my problem.

Author's Note

Heyyy sorry it's been a while. I love John B's commentary when the story is in his POV but other than that I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter. I hope you like this chapter!! Also I feel like the scene where JJ kills the rooster in Chapter 3 is not talked about enough so I added a little mention of JJ doubting who he's becoming and if he's going to end up like his father.