Part 3: 'I Knew Those People'

"And we were right outside like this" JJ begins his story leaning against the wall.

"And all we hear is just bam! bam! bam! Knocking paint off the wall G. From the inside. Alright? And im just looking at him, like- wait first of all look at this shit" he said running his hands through his hair making white flakes go everywhere.

"That's dandruff" Pope added.

"Disgusting" Kie mumbled. I stayed quiet I'm still not really sure what my place in this treasure hunt is to be fair.

"Look at all that alright? That's paint. At this point I was just waiting for death man" he continues. Apparently their top secret mission was going to Ms. Lana's house to ask about a compass after her husband just drowned. A bit in sensitive but I'm not entirely surprised.

"Okay so you saw the guys who shot at us right?" Pope asked inturpting JJ's rant.

"Wait don't answer that yet. First come here Jayj I need a hit of that" I said referring to the blunt in his hand.

"Yeah I seen them" he said to Pope while walking over and handing me the blunt. He walked away standing back in front of us as if he was giving a presentation in second grade.

"Did you get a good description of them? What did they look like? Anything we can bring to a police report?" Pope questioned

"Anythings helpful" Kiara added. I could tell JJ was getting overwhelmed and I literally just wanted to hug him.

"Burly" JJ replied

"That's not very helpful" Kiara replied.

"To be fair you said anything would be helpful" I said with a small smile.

"Okay well no like the type of guy at my dads garage. I mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers" JJ replied his voice cracking the tinest bit at the mention of his dad or it could've been because of the way he was feeling super stressed out. 

"We know Jayj" I replied softly.

"I can tell you with full confidence, these boys, these killers, they're squaregroupers" JJ says taking the blunt from me.

"They're squaregroupers? Like narco squaregroupers? Like Pablo Escobar squaregroupers?" Pope questioned clearly getting fusturated with JJ.

"Yeah, man" JJ replied softly

"You guys, not everything is a kingpin movie" Kiara stated.

"What does this squaregrouper look like? Specifically." Pope asked trying to get any information out of JJ.

"You weren't there!" JJ yells

"Apparently you don't know what to look for" Pope pressured.

"Dude! I wasn't taking little mental polaroids the entire time man. I was under duress okay?" JJ snapped.

"Ok Pope lay off him. Jayj breathe. Your okay now I promise" I reminded JJ. It occured to me all the shouting and obvious violence going on probably reminded him of his dad. And he was scared. And instead of comforting him Pope was blaming him and yelling at him.

"But I can tell you. By the way Ms. Lana was screaming. That these guys are serious hombres, man. It's a heavy vibe right now okay? I'm not liking it very much" JJ added calming down a little bit.

"Why would they want the compass?" Kiara asks the question everyones been wondering.

"It's a piece of shit. You couldn't pawn it off for 5 bucks. No offense dude" Pope said. As he was talking I walked over to JJ. He wrapped him arms around me from behind and I could feel him relax.

"You okay?" I whispered softly.

"I am now" he replied with a smile.

"The office" John B said out of no where.

"Like the show? Cuz I don't really see the hype" I spoke up.

"No. Our dads office. He always kept it locked cuz he was worried about people stealing his research " John B said.

"We used to laugh at him about it all the time, like he was going to find it" I added

"Now that he's gone. I've just left it as it is" John B finishes.

"For when he gets back" Kie adds. He's not coming back.

Everyone looks around but I can't bring myself to. So as everyone talks and John B tells stories I just focus on the ground. Until I hear a door shut.

"Guys somebody's here" John B alerts us.

"Is that them?" Kie and I ask at the same time.

"No" JJ sighs as if he can't believe this is happening.

"John B, I told you. Why does it always-?" JJ started to ramble.

"Hey, Hey. Where's the gun?" John B asks JJ.

"Gun- I -uh" JJ stutters

"Now you don't have the gun. The one time we actually need it"

"It was in my backpack" he says. On the porch.

"It's on the porch" JJ says quickly. I run out to grab it but quickly turn around when I see them walking into the house. JJ pulls me into the room and then into his arms for a brief second.

"They're on the porch" I panic.

"Window" Pope says. Him and JJ try to open it but it won't budge.

"Guys" I say tears welling up in my eyes.

"Why is it taking so long?" Kiara asks.

"It's painted shut okay?" I grab a letter opener and hand it to JJ. After what feels like hours we get the window open and we all climb through it and into the chicken coop.

"Do something Pope. Shut him up" JJ says from his spot beside me. I shut my eyes in fear and to try and stop the tears from falling.

"What do you want me to do?" Pope asks.

"Pet it, talk to it, something. I don't know" Kiara says visibly terrified.

"You do something" Pope whispers to JJ. JJ grabs it by the neck and snaps it in half. Killing it. He seems frozen looking at his hands.

"JJ" I whisper trying to get him to sit back down before we get caught.

"Babes come here" I tell him grabbing his shoulders and pulling him into me. He lets a tear fall but wipes it quickly. I place a kiss on his forehead telling him he's okay. After a while the truck drives off and we get out. We wait around for a couple minute to let everyone calm down but even after everyone else has calmed down I still can't seem to calm myself down.

"Baylee you okay?" John B asks.

"Guys, I knew one of those people" I say the realization dawning on me. I know who that person was.

Author's Note. 

More trauma for Baylee I guess don't worry I start being nicer to Baylee in like 10 chapters but it only lasts for about 2 seconds. Pain makes for a better story? Also I feel like JJ killing the rooster is not talked about enough. I mean I feel like that had to have hurt him and made a lot of thoughts about who he was becoming (hint?) but I do talk about that in the next chapter. Also how does Baylee know those people? Guess you'll have to wait until I remeber to post the next chapter lol 

Thanks for reading it means the world to me!!