Part 5: Bird & Starfish

After getting Kie and Pope John B started driving somewhere and JJ and I moved to the back of the van where I laid my head on his lap.

"You mind if I just relax on this one? It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?" JJ asked Pope offering him the blunt JJ had found in the back on the car.

"I keep the signal clear" he denies.

"I'll take it" I say grabbing it from his hands.

"Dude okay, do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative man. If you got creative then-" JJ tries to ramble.

"Look I know I was wrong about the light house. All right?" John B says cutting off JJ

"And pretty much everything else" I add.

"But, I was right about one thing. My dad is trying to tell me something" John B continues.

"Our dad John B. He was my dad too" I snapped. JJ sensed it upset me and reached down to play with my hair in a comforting manner.

Once we got to our destination which was apparently a graveyard we all got out of the car.

"Graveyards creep me out" I told JJ.

"I'll protect you" he told me flexing his arm muscles. While doing that I could see his chest puffed out from inside his shirt. I looked him up and down memorizing the way he looked with only the moonlight to show him. He must've noticed me checking him out because he smirked.

"Eyes up here princess" He told me.

"Sorry not sorry" I said walking away so I was beside John B.

"You know, how you're trying to remember a song and can't remember who sings it?" John B asks looking at me.

"Yeah happens to me all the time. Once I couldn't remember who sings let it go" I spoke making JJ laugh and Pope hit the back of my head.

"So, Redfield. This whole time, I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place. It's a person" John B rambles.

"Voi-effing-là" JJ said adding to what John B was saying. I truly had no idea where he was going with this.

"See, my great-great-grandmother; Olivia Redfield. That was her maiden name." John B explains

"See me personally I barely know my parents name" I comment making Pope hit my head again.

"Ow. Geez your going to give me a concussion" I tell him. JJ walks over to me and I wrap my arms around him.

"Help me with the door. Come on." John B tells Pope.

"All right" Pope mumbles

"One, two, three..." Both boys mumbled

"Are you pushing?" John B asked Pope.

"Yeah, I'm pushing." he replies

"JJ stop flirting with my sister and help us" John B said

"Hold on. I got it." JJ said rushing over to help.

"This door is like 700 pounds. It's not gonna budge." Pope concludes

"We didn't come this far to give up, all right? We got this" JJ encourages that is until a snake appears.

"Whoa!" "A snake!" Pope and JJ call out backing away from the tomb.

"That's a moccasin, all right. Ye olde Dr. Cottonmouth. Death in tall grass" JJ says before he starts to bark.

"JJ, Shut up. Shut up!" Kie says while I slap his shoulder.

"You're gonna wake the dead, man" Pope tells JJ.

"I don't think we're in the kind of place where you can wake the dead" I tell them to which Pope hits my head AGAIN. I swear to god. He's abusive.

"They're afraid of dogs. Everyone knows that, man. Wait, hold on." JJ rambles.

"What?" Kie and John B say at the same time.

"If there's one, there's probably dozens." JJ continues before he starts barking at the snakes again.

"Stop barking at the snakes." John B snaps.

"I can get through." I say making eveyone go silent.

"Get through where?" JJ asks and I just point at the hole in the tomb.

"No, no, no, no. You think you're gonna fit through the hole? That hole?" John B panics.

"JB listen. This is about dad. And honestly I think it's bullshit but on the off chance its not and this is going to get us one step closer to getting dad back I'll do it" I tell him. He looks at me with a smile and mouths thank you.

"I'll get those..." JJ tells me moving the vines out of the way.

"Give her a boost" John B tells JJ

"I'm gonna boost you, all right. I've seen it in the movies several times. Ready?" JJ tells me.

"Remind me what I'm looking for" I ask John B.

"You'll know when you see it" John B tells me. I roll my eyes in response.

"Helpful. Hold my flashlight" I say handing him my flashlight.

"All right, so put your hands right there. Yep. Then your foot. All right, on three." he says but I just launch myself up using my arm strength I guess the little bit of gymnastics I used to do payed off.

"Okay, never mind. Just forget about three." JJ mutters.

"Flashlight?" I question.

"Yeah, here" Pope said handing me the flashlight.

"You alive? You got, like, a... a heartbeat and everything?" John B asks

"For now. Hey at my funeral can you guys make sure there is black roses and also Kie make sure barbie doesn't show up and make it all about her" I joked with them.

"That's not funny Bales" JJ told me. I could only imagine the scowl on his face.

"I think it was pretty funny. I need some more light" I told them

"Yeah, yeah, here. Yeah, I gotcha." John B told me holding up a lantern.

"Did you find something?" JJ asks me. He sounds antsy and I already know for a fact he's pacing on the other side of this wall.

"Is there gold?" John B asks anxiously.

"Oh, my God" I mutter when I see a yellow envelope with to Bird and Starfish.