eight

"Remind me why we're up so early, mother?" Banksie said, rubbing her eyes, the headache from last night playing in the background.

Yet again, she was exhausted. She needed a day to sleep, but she wasn't going to get that, though.

"Shopping," Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "Remember? We're hosting a party," she said, scanning through the dresses. "Will your friends be coming?" She asked.

Banksie looked at her dumbfounded. "You mean... the pogues? Yeah, I don't think so," she huffed.

"Is the prejudice thing that bad?" Her mother grimaced.

"We've been living here for years, and you're now just finding out the rivalry is that bad?" Banksie asked.

"I've never had a problem with them, so I just thought some people were assholes," she shrugged.

"Jesus," Banksie sighed.

"What about this one, love?" Elizabeth's smiled, holding a long white dress in her hand, strapless, with a few beads on the chest.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I said so,"

"That's not an answer,"

"It's a valid answer,"

"Loey."

"Elizabeth."

Her mother stared at her for a second. "You choose one then," she rolled her eyes. "I'll be looking for some new shoes," she huffed.

Banksie rolled her eyes back at her and turned to look at the dresses hung up behind her, catching the eye of a familiar face.

"Sarah," Banksie smiled.

"Shopping like me, huh?" Sarah grinned. "Your party, I'm guessing?" Sarah said, walking over to the same rack that Banksie was looking at.

"Yeah," she sighed.

"Rose told me to go look for something new for tonight," she rolled her eyes. "She really gets on my nerves," she said as she picked out a couple of dresses.

Banksie lightly laughed, her eyes catching a strapless red dress, puffy sleeves, mid length.

"What do you think of this?" Banksie asked.

"Absolutely," Sarah nodded. "Red is your colour," she reminded.

"Very true," she nodded, "I'm gonna go try it on," she said. "See you later?" She asked.

"Later," Sarah nodded, still looking at the dresses.

————

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this," Kiara began, holding a stripped bag to her side, whilst JJ held the cooler, and Pope held the foldable chairs. "Keep calm, carry on. Back to Obx life," she smiled.

"Aren't you guys glad I made you come?" She asked.

"Ecstatic," Pope sighed.

"Depends, what are we watching?" Banksie asked.

"Pass," Kiara shrugged. "Will you go get the drinks?" She asked. "Two pepsi's, and whatever you want," she said, handing her money.

"Alright," she smiled, grabbing the money and walking up to the vendor.

"Heya Banksie," the vendor smiled.

"Oh, hey, Geoff," she grinned. "Can I get two pepsi's and a–"

"Dr Pepper?" He asked.