| 014: midsummers |

014| MIDSUMMERS |

014
| MIDSUMMERS |

Applause rang out in the air as Jade made her entrance at the event alongside the Cameron family. Dressed in a pale blue dress matching the color of her ex-boyfriend's attire, she blended perfectly with their family.

With the weight of her parents' expectations bearing down on her, Jade found herself trapped in a charade, determined to maintain the facade of the flawless Griffin image. Bound by the promise she made, she reluctantly played the part of Rafe's partner, all while concealing the turmoil brewing beneath her poised exterior.

As the accolades of the unfamiliar guests washed over her, Jade stole a moment to retreat and collect herself. Once, she would have reveled in such a glamorous event without hesitation. However, since encountering the Pogues, her perception of the Kook lifestyle had irrevocably shifted.

"Tired of the party already?" Rafe chuckled as he joined her, teasing her gently. "Here, I think you'll need this," he offered her a glass of alcoholic cocktail that he had intended for himself.

"Thanks," Jade snatched the glass abruptly and downed it in one gulp, leaving no drop for her ex-boyfriend.

"Whoa, slow down there. Is it really such a chore to spend the evening with me?" He joked, hinting at a slight annoyance underneath.

As Rafe sauntered towards her, his fingers tracing lightly along her arm, Jade deftly brushed his hand aside and shot him a steely glare, her eyes flashing a clear message that conversation was off the table.

"Oh come on, Jade! I thought we had an arrangement to keep up appearances tonight? Why don't you just play along like you did with that stupid Pogue?" The young man advanced once more, his finger grazing under her chin to coax her gaze upward to meet his.

Jade, her gaze locked in a mesmerizing dance with Rafe's, took a fleeting moment to ponder. The familiar touch of her ex-boyfriend ignited a cascade of sensations throughout her body, while the tantalizing aroma of his cologne beckoned her, stirring an undeniable longing within her soul.

"I don't know, Rafe... I just don't feel like pretending," she sighed, struggling with all her might to resist the temptation.

He slowly traced the path of his finger, once delicately placed beneath her chin, down her throat and along her body to her hip. Jade allowed herself to be gently embraced by him as he pulled her closer, their bodies melding together in an enchanting closeness.

"So don't pretend..." Rafe's grin turned mischievous as he leaned closer to the girl's ear. "You know, when I see you in that dress, I can't help but imagine how stunning you'd look without it..." he murmured, his lips grazing the delicate curve of her ear.