Chapter Nine

John B was soon getting on the HMS Pogue to go steal from his rich boss

John B was soon getting on the HMS Pogue to go steal from his rich boss. But, JJ was right. John B and I no longer had anything left to lose.

Our dad said that this island was America on steroids. The Haves and Have-nots like anyplace, but magnified and multiplied. The game here is rigged. It probably always has been. With no parents and no money and no one looking out for us, John B and I didn't have a chance.

John B got back an hour or so later and picked up the rest of us. We got over the crash, and that's when Kiara decided to check the air tanks.

"This is empty. You took empty tanks?"

John B made a weak attempt to defend himself as I checked the other tank from the port side of the boat.

"Hey, this one's a quarter full. That should be enough for one of us."

"I love it when a plan comes together."

I glared at Pope.

"Does anybody know how to dive?"

We all silently looked at each other, knowing that none of us have ever dived before.

"It's kind of a Kook sport," JJ stated.

"I read about it," Pope added.

"Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die," Kiara started freaking out.

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?"

"Well, if you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood, and you get the bends."

JJ smirked at Pope's words.

"Bends like, bend over and-"

"The bends kill you."

"Right."

I sighed and stood up.

"I'll do it," I volunteered.

"Absolutely not," JJ stated, and I gave him my most offended look. "You are the least likely to follow whatever you should do not to get nitrogen in your blood."

I pursed my lips and didn't argue. He's not wrong.

"I can, I can dive."

I whirl around to my brother.

"You failed biology and history and math, but you can dive?"

"Yeah, John B can dive. I'm cool with that."

"You won't let me dive, but you'll let my idiot brother dive?"

"Yeah, since when can you dive?" Kiara asked.

"I'll do it. It's fine, Jo."

"Let me do some calculations real quick," Pope announced while I continued to glare at my brother.