Chapter Twenty-One

I got woke up with JJ whispering near my ear

"We're back, sweetheart."

I smiled, my eyes still closed, and stretched my legs out.

"Do I have to get up?"

I heard him chuckle and opened my eyes to see that my head was in his lap as I laid on my back.

"You could sleep all day on the front of Heyward's boat, or you could come surfing with us. Your choice." He shrugged, trying to sound nonchalant.

My smile grew as I looked up at him.

"We're going surfing?"

He chuckled again.

"Your face just lit up like a damn Christmas tree."

I laughed, and he brushed some hair off of my face.

"Yes, we're going surfing."

I whooped before sitting up and all but skipping around the boat to help dock it. I could feel Pope and JJ's concerned gazes land on me every once in a while as we walked towards the beach, but I chose to ignore them and let my excitement for surfing take over.

I saw the van with our surfboards stacked on top and quickly stripped away my shorts and t-shirt, having left Pope's sweatshirt with his dad's boat, grabbed my board from JJ as he got it off the roof of the van, and ran down to the beach, seeing two figures already in the water.

"Hey!" I yelled, gaining John B and Kiara's attention.

"Save some waves for us!"JJ yelled from right behind me.

"Hey, where you been?"

I laughed as I made my way towards my brother.

We spent the rest of the day surfing, having a few beers that Kiara had stolen from her dad, and just enjoying the summer day. All was forgotten about Rafe and Topper, the Royal Merchant, JJ's weird behavior, and the DCS.

That day felt like all the days of summer should feel. Fun.

Later that night, we all were outside the Chateau. Pope, John B, and Kiara were lounging in lawn chairs, and JJ and I shared the hammock. We laid on opposite sides, so his feet were by my head and vice versa.

The five of us sat in silence and listened to the crickets chirping as JJ lazily swung the hammock back and forth. It was pitch black outside, so I couldn't see anybody's face. I shivered slightly as a breeze blew by, my bathing suit and hair still a little damp from our beach day.

The hammock violently rocked back and forth as JJ switched sides, so our heads were on the same end. He put his arm behind my head and pulled me into his side, and I rested my head on his bare shoulder and my hand on his warm chest.