Chapter 30

Rafe walked towards the siblings standing behind the door. James waved the guard that he could leave. He left without second thought. He was probably bored of being there all the time. But before he left he whispered something on James' ear.

"Guys I'm leaving you alone for a minute. I'll be back." He said and followed the guard to the main hall.

Sophie looked at her cousin. As soon as James left he started walking up and down the cell running nervously his fingers through his hair.

"Is Ward behind all this?" That's all she wanted to ask. She had to know wether Rafe meant what had he said to her.

"No, no, no" Rafe said smiling. He was upset and this whole behaviour of his reminded the one of a crazy person. That's the last thing she wanted, a mad cousin too. "You see... It was Barry!"

"At first come here and stop making circles on that cell." The boy immediately stopped and walked close enough so he could see her face without any bars getting in the way.
"Alright, now. Who's Barry?"

Rafe let out a sigh. "The guy I'm buying drugs from." He said and then lowered his head to avoid the upcoming for him disappointed expression of Sophie's.

"If you think that I'm so stupid that I hadn't realized earlier that you're doing drugs you don't know me at all..." The girl replied taking Rafe by surprise with her answer. "What happened?"

"That fucking Maybank happened!" At the hearing of the name the girl flinched. Was he talking about JJ? Or about his father?

"Barry had told me that he had me on hand last year. You see he found out about Peterkin -the Sheriff I had killed- and threatened me that he would tell if I didn't pay him exactly when I should. Well that helped a little with my situation you see I started selling most of it than sniffing it by myself..."

"You're out of the point Rafe!" Sophie said. After he had mentioned that name, her curiosity and anxiety were growing bigger and bigger.

"Okay, okay... So I managed to have the exact amount of money he needed so he would keep his mouth shut. And that fucking man came and destroyed everything." He said kicking the brick wall between his and the next cell. The girl let out a sigh of relief. It wasn't JJ the one. But then she remembered that he was his father.

"Luke Maybank, an alcoholic, drug addict and abusive person... He is owing to Barry lots of money. He doesn't have a job. So he doesn't have the money to pay but he still gets cocaine and all the good stuff."

"How's that having something to do with you being kept in here?" Asked the girl trying to figure out what had happened.

"I'll get to that. So Barry came up to me after you left yesterday and said that he wanted the money Maybank owed him. I told him that I hadn't had them. The next thing I knew was waking up and after a lot of yelling I ended up here."

The girl was quiet all the way till the end. She was trying to put her thoughts in order. "Why would he ask for the money from you? I mean he could wait!"

He laughed "He will not. Unless JJ decides to steal a bank or something. He can't pay Sophie and Barry wants the money before he dies from overdose and believe me, he's really close to that."

Sophie did not manage to talk as James approached them. Rafe started explaining why was he there and Sophie let her mind travel her away. Maybe it wasn't the time for reminiscing but she couldn't keep herself from doing it. Ever since last night she had the best day of her life, well up to the moment when James told her about Rafe. But that was the problem, she had her best day of her life with someone she shouldn't even talk to. Imagine being with him... Not that he would want to be with her but yeah anyway.

"Ward is going to bail you out right?" James asked making Sophie aware again of the place where she was and the time. Both she and Rafe smirked.

"There's no fucking way Ward bailing me out. But that's another story James..."

"We'll help you! We'll talk to Ward and find a way to get you out of here." James was the favourite nephew. And along with Sarah they were both the two most loved kids in the Cameron's family. Sophie was loved too but Ward would listen James and not her. And James loved his uncle, who happened to be his godfather as well. And that's the reason why Rafe didn't tell him the whole story.

"James! Keep her away from the Pogues and especially JJ." The girl turned her head to look at Rafe and then James. That was unfair. Of course they would think that this would be easy since they couldn't possibly want to see eachother bit little did they know.

"Why? He hasn't done anything wrong?"

"What part of his father is an alcoholic, drug addict and abusive you didn't understand?" James said turning to face his sister. Why would she react like that. He was confused, why would she take his side. She didn't even know him.

"Just because his father is like this that doesn't mean..."

"He's exactly like him. He is cleptomaniac, he smokes tones of weed, he drinks like he's living his last day and he's always ready to get into a fight."

"Rafe... I'm not going to hang out with him but you should know that you guys are not better. You're doing cocaine and you're under drugs you're both capable of doing unbelievable things and unbelievable not in a good way!"

She was infuriated. Both of the boys were observing her confused. Well yes she was right but why such a reaction? "You can't control my decisions. And you can't tell me who to hang out with judging from what you believe... I'm an independent person and I can choose for myself." She added quickly trying to convince them that she was furious only for not letting her be. And they believed her. And even if they did not both of them knew that they had to stop or else she would start yelling again and then both of the siblings would be banned from visiting Rafe.

"I'll find a way to get you out." The girl added looking at her behind the bars cousin and left.

"James, keep her away from them and away from Barry, especially him." Said the boy and then paused he didn't have to speak. His eyes were telling everything. James understood immediately what was on Rafe's mind.

"How can I bring it to you without being seen?"

"At night, you'll pass it to me from the window"