t h i r t e e n

song: 'nina cried power' by hozier (feat. mavis staples)

present

"Look, I'm calling it off, alright?" John B said as him and the other Pogues were sat outside the chateau.

"Calling what off?" Genevieve asked from the random table in John B's yard she was sitting on.

"The search for the Grady-White. Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

Genevieve sighed, knowing that DCS had been on John B's back for months, ever since his dead went missing.

"And you believed her?" JJ scoffed from next to Genevieve.

"Yes, I believe her, JJ," John B said as he and the others glanced over at JJ.

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop," JJ said as he threw a stone across the yard.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out. It doesn't help that your ass was the one who was shooting a gun!" John B exclaimed.

"You know what I should have done, man? I should have just let Topper drown your ass," JJ said as he threw another stone across the yard.

"Guys, stop," Genevieve said.

"Topper was gonna drown me?" John B scoffed, ignoring Genevieve.

"Sure looked like it," JJ retorted. "I mean, have you looked in the mirror recently?"

"Guys, stop!" Genevieve exclaimed with a sigh. She didn't need to be reminded of the sight of Topper attempting to drown John B. She wasn't able to escape it; for nights she didn't sleep properly because of it. Everytime she heard the waves, the memories came rushing back. This was the last thing she needed.

"They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" JJ yelled as he punched a buoy that hung from the chateau porch.

"Look, it's okay!" Kie said, trying to calm JJ down.

"Easy for you to say," Genevieve muttered under her breath.

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it. I know you do," JJ said, pointing at John B before he turned to Pope.

"And I understand why you don't wanna go. You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you... I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?" JJ said, turning to Kie, who rolled her eyes in response.

"But you, me and Genevieve? We got nothing to lose! We really don't, alright? And I know it didn't use to be that way for either of you." JJ said, yelling now.

"Stop it JJ," Genevieve said with a sigh. This was exactly the thing that her mum would stop her from doing.

"I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about it," John B said, walking past JJ.

"So that's it?" JJ said in disbelief.

"Just get out of my way, bro!" John B exclaimed, pushing JJ out of the way.