𝐱𝐢𝐱. break me up

OUTERBANKS, FALL BREAK
( FRESHMAN YEAR )

HATE is a strong word. A word that June hated to use as she knew what the outcome of that could be. But, around this time of her change in mood, she could care less.

She wanted to hate Kiara Carrera.

Wanted. She couldn't hate her. As she stared at a picture frame with a picture of them in it, her heart practically bursted. June's hand lightly grazed her cheek, staring at the sight of her lips on hers.

Her eyes furrowed in sorrow, throwing the picture in anger as she rushed to grab her keys.

Kiara was in the same boat, staring at her phone as she impatiently waited for her girlfriend to call her. She knew that June had found out. She had to of. The back to back phone calls from Sarah were not for no reason and her heart was beating in nerves.

And when she heard a car pull up she didn't hesitate to sprint down her stairs.

"Hey," her gaze softened, letting herself smile at the girl who stood with a bag, "I've got all your stuff." The clanking sound of the bag dropping made her head throw back in shame.

"Can we at least talk about this?" June couldn't say no to her eyes as she stared at her. All she wanted was to kiss her and tell her how much she loved her in this very moment. But, her silly mistakes were getting in the way.

"You have a minute." Kiara didn't waste a second as she shut her house door behind her, "Okay, I know how all of this seems. And I'm not gonna lie to you."

"I was with Camilla. But, I wasn't thinking. I was just stupid. But don't lie to me either, okay? I know your heart wasn't where mine was, June." Kiara shook her head, making her scoff, "That's bullshit. I love you. I loved you. I was so loyal." Kiara winced at the change in tone, shaking her head.

"Look at me," Kiara stepped closer, placing two hands on her face, "It was a mistake. I love you. There's so many girls out there, but I'm not worried about them. I want you."

June was sinking into her eyes, as she spoke, her knees almost buckling as she placed her hands on Kiara's wrist, "I love you too. But, I can't forget about this. What you did."

Kiara took her hands off her face, "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to tell me the truth. I've been nothing but honest to you and now it's your turn, Kiara. No games." Kiara sighed, looking at the ground.

"Im telling you the truth! Why won't you believe me?" Kiara cried, "Because everything happens for a reason, Kiara! We bumped into each other that first day for a reason! I asked you to come to the beach with me for a reason! I fell in love with you for a reason." Her heart pounded in her chest.

"Do you regret this? Us? Would you rather be with Cami?" June hiccuped, hugging her arms around her waist, "What? She was nothing to me. You are the one, okay?"

"You regret being with me? Is that why you got with her, Kie? Huh! Tell me the truth!" June continued, yelling over her words. "Stop it! I fucking love you!"

"It doesn't seem that way, Kie." June sighed, "It doesn't seem like you love me either."

"What does that even mean?" She shouted, throwing her arms up in anger. "All you do is hang around Sarah! It's always, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah!"

"She's my best friend? My best friend who was fucking there for me when you were toying around with some Kook! Who has a boyfriend, just thought you should know," June sobbed, her throat cracking as she yelled, "Okay stop! I said I was sorry, and I will be sorry for however long I walk on this earth, okay?"

June shook her head, "You asked me what I wanted you to do?"

"Tell me. Please, I wanna fix this," Kiara nodded, grabbing her hand, "Fix this? Kie— I want you to take your stuff. And never speak to me again."

It felt like a bullet going through both their hearts as they stared at each other, both shocked by her words, "You don't mean that."

"Maybe, I do. Maybe I don't. But for now? I don't want to be with you. I need time." June told her grabbing her phone off the deck as she slid it into her pocket, beginning to walk away.

Kiara hiccuped, staring at her with sorrowful eyes, "Fine. It's what you want. Your choice," June let out a breathe she didn't know she was holding as she spoke, "But, I will wait for you, okay? I'll wait." Kiara held to her face.

When Kiara pulled back, June pulled her as well, and landed a passionate kiss on their lips, holding it like their was no tomorrow. June kept her hands along side her cheeks, caressing them as she let out small whines in her mouth.

Kiara pulled her closer, in the kiss before pulling back, both losing breathe from it. As they stood their hand in hand, nobody said anything.

"I don't regret being with you, June. I regret fucking it up to the point I can't," Kiara caressed her cheek, "Your perfect." June let out a muffled sob, nodding into the hug.

As June tried to pull back from her hand, it was like they were fighting the disconnection, both not even daring to continue.

But, when they finally disconnected they both held their breaths, watching each other walk away. And June couldn't believe what had just happened as she rushed home.

She really hoped Kiara would keep her promise of waiting because she had no idea how much time she needed. As she walked into her home suddenly everything reminded her of Kiara.

The couch where they would have movie nights. The kitchen where June would bake for her, the living room where they stupidly danced to Taylor swift, twirling each other around as they placed occasional kisses on her face.

Her mind traced as she realized this was a routine she had to get used to. Not waking up for school next to her every morning. It was hell.

But, hell was not only a place. But, sometimes can be previewed as life.

And the life June was trying to live in her early years was like never ending fire.