37: But Im Gonna Kiss You

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family.  They've run Charleston for, like, years." Kie tells us.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ says looking at all the houses

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" I ask him.

"Pretty sure." He answers. We all get out and walk to the front door.

"Talk about home security.  Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ asks.

"No." Kie answers.

"The slave quarters are over there. These spikes were to keep people in." Pope tells us sadly.

"That's so fucked up." I say.

"You think that was too much?" Pope asks after knocking on the door.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ answers him.

"So they definitely heard it." I tell Pope.

"Maybe nobody's home." Kie says.

"You must be Pope." The guy says answering the door.

"Um... Are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope politely asks.

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday."

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here." Pope tells the man.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville. Sorry about that." JJ tells the guy.

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up." The guy says looking at us weird.

"We tried to call." I tell him.

"But there's no number on the invitation." Kie states.

"We got here as fast as we could." I tell him.

"She also expected you to come alone." The guy says.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped
find the Royal Merchant too. I--" Pope says not sure why it mattered.

"Plus it's number one safety rule to never leave anywhere with our telling someone or bringing them with." I tell the man.

"The instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside."

"We're kind of a package deal, man." JJ says.

"JJ. It's okay. I got this.  I'll be good." Pope tells us.

"Yeah. We'll be right here." Kie tells Pope.

"Keep the car running." Pope tells her. I look down and see them holding hands I elbow JJ's side ti make him look. He then looks back at me both of us smiling at the couple before us.

"Yep."

"Look, if Limbrey is legit,  then Ward gets arrested, and maybe Sarah gets the gold." Kie says as we watch the house. We then see Pope getting pushed to go somewhere.

"Does that look voluntary?" JJ asks.

"No fucking chance." I answer. Kie starts to open the door but Jj stops her.

"They're going into the alley." He points out.

"Go around back?" Kie asks.

"Yeah. We'll meet them on the other side." JJ answers all of us nervous for our friend.

"Hey, be chill. Be chill." I tell them.

"Look, where did they go?" Kie asks as we look around and try to find them.