Chapter 43

Rafe's Pov

"It was her, it was her right?" My dad's voice radiated through my skull as sweat pounded down my head. These passed 24 hours have been the most chaotic hours of my life.

"Yeah it was her, it was Sarah." I answered him, putting my head in my hands and trying to relieve my headache despite the blinding light in the Bahamian police department.

"I can't believe it." Dad breathed out. "She's alive. I don't know what the hell you were doing pointing a gun at her." Now everything is my fault again. "She's lucky you didn't hit her. You shouldn't be shooting a gun at-'

"I did." I cut him off, and I watched as his expression changed from shock to horror. Despite the weight of what I did I don't feel anything. / feel numb.

"What?!"

"I hit her."

"You shot her?!" He whisper-yelled, not wanting the other officers in the station to hear us. "Is she okay?!"

"I was trying to shoot John B., okay?" I explained, not wanting him to think I was deliberately trying to shoot my sister. "It was an accident she stepped in the way. I did not mean to shoot her okay?"

"Okay, okay." He breathed out, putting his head in his hands. "I'm sorry." I felt annoyance flow through me at how upset he is about Sarah.

"But I don't care that I did."

"What?!" I shrugged at this.

"Rafe that is your sister!"

"My sister? The one who stole from us. The one who had her boyfriend point a gun at us. Get your blinders off!" I snapped.

"You need to shut your mouth!" He hissed.

"She's gonna kill our family you know that?" I asked, over this conversation already.

"Okay." The police chief walked in. "This photo was captured by tourists can you identify?" He held up the phone to my dad and he nodded.

"That's-That's my Sarah." He breathed out with fake tears in his eyes. "She was kidnapped and she was brainwashed by this...he's mentally unstable and he's very, very dangerous. You can see she's hurt. Can you please find them for me?" I fought the urge to roll my eyes at his description of them. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it but she's not brainwashed by anything. She loves John B. She loves him enough to betray this family.

"We got pictures of the plates and now the suspects." The chief answered. "We'll get them and your stolen property." I took a drink from the glass of water they gave us and looked at dad.

"They'll get em." I reassured him and then leaned back in my chair. The chief left the room and as I thought about everything that's happened in the last few days, things started to click into place. Once we got to Nassau dad took me to the Bahama house and showed me a massive safe full of gold, but not just any gold, the Royal Merchant gold. In that moment I've never felt happier, but also never felt guiltier. Molly has been trying to tell me for ages now about the gold and I blew her off. "Oh my god." I breathed out, and sat up.

Molly's been talking non-stop about the gold lately, I mean almost every time I saw her she was talking about it like she's going to have it even though she knew it was in Nassau and nowhere she could possibly have access to. "What Rafe?" Dad asked, but l ignored him. Molly knew exactly how everything happened. John B and my dad fought over the gold, he killed John B's dad, John B wanted revenge, my dad took the gold.

But...the other night she panicked when I told her I was going to Nassau.

"Oh my god." I breathed out again and stood.

"Rafe? What is it?!" The only reason she would have panicked is if she knew someone else was trying to get to the gold first.

"I don't think we're the only ones who know John B and Sarah are alive dad."

————————

Molly's Pov

I woke up in the morning to the sun peaking through my curtains and squinted my eyes. I should ve remembered to shut them tighter last night. A yawn slipped out as I stretched my arms and I rolled over to see the bed that was occupied last night by Rafe now empty. Instantly I jumped up and went over to the balcony connected to my room outside to see Rafe's car nowhere to be found. "Shit!" I threw on a pair of shorts and a shirt before rushing out the door. "Of course he lied." I huffed, knowing that him and his dad must have left for the Bahamas early this morning. I tried calling him but of course it went straight to voicemail.

My phone buzzed as I got to my car door and I looked down at it hoping to see Rafe but instead I was met with a text from Pope. "Meet at the school library now!" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but got in the car and drove there anyway. As I drove down he highway I thought about how much I hate taking a nice car into the cut. although I know my friends wouldn't do anything (aside from JJ) there are a lot of people over here who will screw with a nice car out of spite. Finally, the school came into view and I parked and locked the car before making my way into the school and the library.

"Miss Wescott, nice to see you again." The librarian greeted and I said hello to her before making my way over to my friends. I used to see her a lot when I would tutor kids here.

"What's going on?" I asked them making sure to talk quietly as I sat down at their table.

"So that guy was from the scholarship committee, read it." Pope told us and passed JJ a letter. Kie and I looked over his shoulders as he went to read it out loud.

"I can't read cursive." He muttered, and I bit back a laugh as he passed it to me.

"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate Mr. John B Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8pm sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey." I put down the letter and JJ looked anxious.

"Charleston?"

"I know it's like an eight hour drive plus the ferry." Pope huffed. "How will we get there tonight?"

"We have to leave like right now." JJ realized and I nodded in agreement.

"I have a free period." Kie agreed, and I don't know if she realizes that her forty-minute free period is not enough for an eight hour drive to Charleston.

"Material evidence, what does that mean?" JJ asked.

"It means concrete evidence that can get John B off." I explained and he nodded.

"Oh shit! Then we're going to Charleston!" JJ chirped, and the librarian shot him a glare for being too loud.

"I gotta ask my parents." Kie replied with a sigh. "This time if we get it we are not giving it to Shoupe. Pope let out a loud sigh and we all looked over at him.

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, might be related to the Captain of the Royal Merchant." He turned the computer monitor towards us and we all shared a look. Maybe we are back in the 'G' game after all.

————————
It's so crazy to say that but this story has already 1k reads.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who reads my story, votes for it or comments.
I love it to see how many people love the story as much as I do.