OBVIOUS (ch.6)

CHAPTER SIX: obvious

We were all piled in the van on the way to a new location.

"I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B went on about the compass and 'secret message'.

"Yeah. It's possible."  Pope agreed. "It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels."

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels." JJ butted in. "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it." JJ chuckled making me laugh too.

"I'm not concocting, okay? My dad's trying to give me a message." John B defended himself.

"If it helps you believe, John B." Kie said in almost a whisper.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not trippin' out." the brown haired boy continued to defend himself.

"It's okay to trip, bro, but..."

"Look, my... my dad is missing, okay? Missing." John B raised his voice causing me to flinch.

"You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering." John B explained.

"Well actually JB if you remember my dog that went missing when i was ten" i butted in.

"i....i that dog died but no one had the heart to tell you." John B blurted out.

"what!" i looked at JJ and Pope. They both held up there hands in surrender. Dang. My dog was dead.

"It's been almost a year." Kie shrugged off our old conversation.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." Pope suggested. "Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere." 

"Absolutely. Uh... or Atlantis." JJ agreed with the other boy.

'what' i mouthed to the two boys. They just shrugged.

"Look, what do you think the message is?" Kie rolled her eyes at the two boys conversation.

"Redfield." John B said as we pulled past a sight and into a parking lot. "Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favorite place."

———

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B pointed to JJ as we all hopped out the van.

"Wait... Why me?" JJ seemed hurt.

"Because you're not coming." Pope sated.  "Why? There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do."

"Isla you too. You're not coming." John B pointed to me.

"What why?!" i defended myself.

JJ and Pope were arguing.

"Shut up! Listen to me for a second. Pope, you stand look out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

"Great."

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope retorted pointing at JJ as he hopped in the drivers seat. "And don't start making out."

"Excuse me." i scoffed. JJ scrunched his eyebrows at me. I ignored it and climbed in the back laying across a seat.

JJ hopped in shortly after me and walked over and laid on laid on top of me wrapping his arms around my torso.