CHAPTER FIVE

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

I tried my hardest to focus on what Sarah was saying as she pulled out various items from her closet. She was lending me some outfits for the party tonight after I told her I was struggling on finding what to wear. I couldn't concentrate, Rafe's text message he sent me randomly last night was playing on my mind. It was strange and I questioned whether he had sent it to the wrong person or had pressed send on accident.

"Evelyn are you even listening?" Sarah sighs as she waves her hand in front of my face, capturing my attention.

"Sorry, I'm all ears" I say before I listen to her repeat what she was saying, this time actually engaging with what she's telling me. In a brief summary it's basically a run down of how tonight's going to go. I'm going to get dressed here, drive back home and wait for Tristan to pick me up before we meet up with her and Topper at the party at exactly eight-thirty. We were cutting it close already seeing as it was already six o'clock.

After we confirm our plan Sarah ushers me into the bathroom, telling me to shower while she gets my outfit ready for when I get out and switch with her. If it were up to me I would throw on whatever and do a lazy job of beating my face but it's different since it's a Kook party. I'd only be giving them more ammo if I showed up looking half decent, I had to blend in.

"You look hot" Sarah compliments as she whistles at me admiring the black cocktail dress that rests mid thigh. It wasn't too short or long which is what I liked most about it.

"You look hot! Red is your colour" I beam at her as she moves to get her makeup bag out from her vanity set.

We finally finish getting ready for the party after thirty minutes, which is surprisingly a new record considering our previous times that are usually well over an hour. I promise to call Sarah if anything happens and to text when I get to the party before I jog downstairs, double checking that I had my phone on me before I move to go outside.

As per usual, life likes to punish me for no reason and I run into Rafe on my way out. I hesitate for a moment about whether I should ask him about the message or at least confront him about it. It had my mind fogging all morning and it keeps replaying in my head as I wonder what the motives were behind it. Even though I was still mad at him about him beating Pope I needed answers.

"Rafe" I say abruptly, catching him off guard as he pauses for a second, stopping to listen to me. I see his eyes catch onto my dress for a moment, his attention caught on my attire before he looks at my face.

"I uh-- just wanted to ask about that message you sent me last night" I say just throwing it out there without wasting any time. Confusion washes over his face at my words and he scoffs.

"What message?"

"You know the message you sent last night" I repeat myself but still he shakes his head in denial-- acting completely oblivious.