Chapter Thirty-Six

Evelyn Banks

It's just over a week since my dad was admitted into hospital and Rafe has stayed true to his word. He's come by every day and stays with me until the visitation hours are over. He brings me food, books to read and even leant me his laptop to watch netflix when I'm alone. It's been good between us, not as we were before but far better than we were weeks ago.

"Morning sunshine" Rafe knocks on the door, it's Monday morning and he's the first visitor. I smile at him, pulling away from the book I'm reading and placing it down on the bedside table.

"Morning" I hum, stretching my limbs as I reach for the coffee he holds out— thanking him for grabbing me one. He lets me take a few sips before asking about my dad.

"He's stable. No hiccups over night, thankfully. The nurse checked his obs and he's okay. Still no sign of him waking up though" I inform him, taking a sip of the coffee soon after. Rafe hums at my words, tutting as he stands beside my dad.

"He's stable, that's all that matters for now" He reassures me before changing the subject and asking how my sleep was.

Rafe stays with my dad for a while to let me take a walk and go use the guest bathroom to shower and freshen up. By the time I return he's already cleaned up for me and thrown away any trash that's accumulated from overnight.

"You didn't have to, but thank you" I say, taking a seat down next to him. He just shrugs and leans over to pick up the book I'm reading.

"How's the book?" He questions as he flips through the pages, eyeing out the chapter I've bookmarked.

"Entertaining. Figured it was Wheezie's by the way" I smile, watching him glance at me with a coy smirk on his face.

"Well, should've known you wouldn't fall for it. I haven't opened a book since I was ten so I asked her for recs" I laugh at his honesty, grateful for the effort he's put in to make sure I don't succumb to boredom.

It's goes quiet between us, the silence comfortable as we just sit together and watch over my dad. I blink, replaying the last moments I spent with my mom as the memory haunts me again.

"When my mom died she was barely herself" I start, breaking the silence. Rafe turns to look at me but he doesn't say a word as he waits for me to continue.

"The last time I talked to her was probably two weeks before she passed. She was weak but she still tried her hardest to talk to me"

"We talked about boats, of all things. And how she used to love sailing when she was my age. That's how she met my dad"

"I have so many more things I wish I could tell her about. You're one of them by the way" I say, finally turning to look at Rafe as I talk. His eyes are full of what I can only guess is adoration as he looks at me.

"I wish I could've met her so I could tell her how grateful I am that she raised such a beautiful daughter" Rafe sighs out, his body leaning closer to mine after he talks. I blink at him, my mouth parting to speak but I can't find the words.

I feel my face gravitate toward his, the feeling so natural but foreign at the same time. His hand moves to clasp mine, his skin warm as he holds it closer to him.