Chapter 19

Emery Rose

The shower, my usual stage for winning a few Oscars, felt different today.

I sat curled up, the hot water offered some relief, but it couldn't wash away the heaviness in my heart.

Tonight's events played over and over in my mind like a broken record. Discovering my boyfriend's betrayal with my best friend was a blow I never saw coming. But It explained so much—the missed calls, the canceled plans, the distance between us.

With each passing second, the pieces of the puzzle fell into place, revealing a picture I had been too afraid to see. The knowledge that my closest friends, including Dylan, had been aware of Justin's infidelity only deepened the wound, adding a layer of betrayal that cut to the core of my being. We had shared everything together, confiding in each other, laughing, and creating memories, yet they had chosen to shield me from the reality of my crumbling relationship.

The weight of my naivety pressed down on me like a heavy burden, suffocating me with a sense of shame and embarrassment. How could I have been so blind, so oblivious to the truth that had been staring me in the face all along?

As I stood beneath the relentless stream of water, I couldn't shake the overwhelming sense of regret that engulfed me. Regret for the time wasted, the trust misplaced, and the pain endured.

Im so stupid.

As the water poured over me, I couldn't help but replay the moment Justin tossed my necklace into the lake. It was a gift from Amelia, a reminder of happier times before she was taken from us. Losing it felt like losing a piece of her all over again.

My emotions had been drained dry, leaving behind an empty void that seemed impossible to fill.

But then... there was Grayson. He ignored my request to leave and confronted Justin with a fury I had never witnessed before.

The way he unleashed his anger on Justin, it was like witnessing a different side of Grayson—a side consumed by a rage that seemed to consume him entirely. It was unsettling to see him like that, so different from the sweet and smiling friend I once knew. Tonight, he was someone else entirely, someone I barely recognized.

As I sat in the car, enveloped in darkness, my tears mingled with the faint light of the moon and the distant glow of streetlights. Through the blurred haze of my tears, I strained to catch a glimpse of Grayson and Justin, but they were too far away to discern any details.

I wondered what Grayson was saying to Justin out there in the darkness.

As he returned to the car and we drove away from the chaos, a strange sense of calm settled over me. Despite the violence of the encounter, I felt oddly safe in Grayson's presence. There was a steadiness to him, a reassuring strength that anchored me amidst the storm.

I wanted to ask him why he had come back, why he had intervened on my behalf, but the words caught in my throat.

When he offered to stay at his place, it was unexpected yet strangely comforting. In his presence, the fear that had gripped me moments before melted away, replaced by a sense of peace I hadn't felt in what seemed like an eternity...

The glimmer of hope that fluttered within me, the possibility of rebuilding our friendship, faded into the darkness as Grayson's silence lingered, heavy and oppressive.

In the hushed aftermath of my question, the weight of his unspoken answer settled upon me like a suffocating blanket.

Was I truly the problem? Was I so inherently flawed, so unlovable, that even my oldest friend couldn't bear the thought of being friends again?