Chapter 9

THE CHATEAU — NIGHT TIME

"You guys ever miss her?" Pope asks, referring to Jade

"Who, Jade?" Kie asks.

"Worse than a breakup huh?" John B says.

"Shut up, Pope." JJ says.

"It hit you the most when she left." Pope says to JJ.

"So what?"  JJ asks.

"You never talk about her anymore." Pope says.

"Isn't she the one who made you surf in the first place?" John B asks.

Jade convinced JJ to learn how to surf with her when they were kids. Little did they know, JJ ended up falling in love with it and became the best surfer out of all the Pogues.

Look at you, boy I invented you. Gucci tennis shoes running from your issues.

"She never talks to us." JJ responds, bluntly.

"She yelled at Rafe when the Kooks cornered me." Pope says.

"I can't believe she's dating him, Rafe Cameron of all people?" JJ says in disbelief.

"Someone's jealous." Kie says.

"She was my best friend for 12 years." JJ says.

"Yeah the triple J's aren't coming back any time soon." Pope says.

"She's gone full kook." JJ says.

"Triple J's?" Kie asks.

"J, JJ, JB. Jade, JJ, John B." Pope explains.

"Yeah and then he threw it away cause he slept with a touron." John B says.

"Okay— JB you know why I slept with the touron." JJ says. He slept with the touron cause he didn't want to be inexperienced and bad in bed.

Cardio good for the heart, I figure we can work it out.

"You basically lived together." John B says. Out of all of the Pogues, Jade and JJ were the first to become friends. Then John B joined their group, then Pope. And then Kiara once Jade left.

"JB just shut up man!" JJ says, agitated.

From a young age the two became friends and quickly bonded over their traumatic households. None of the other Pogues ever knew the graphic details about what they went through, and they didn't make it a point to tell them. Their home lives were their little secret that they only kept with each other.

When they were 10, Jade ran over to JJ's house in the middle of the night.

Terrified at what she had just seen.

She had been hiding in the bathroom for most of the fighting, but she made the mistake of opening the door too early. She witnessed her father beating her mother to death in a fight over heroin.