Ch 15: Questioning

I woke up to Rafe's arms around my body. Looking down, the boy looked so peaceful. I began running my hands through his hair as he slowly woke up. I smiled as his eyes met mine.

"Good morning" I whispered.

"Morning love" he said.

His voice was raspy and calming. I escaped his arms walking to the bathroom. I took a shower, changing into leggings and a yellow cropped top.

"I have to go open the restaurant" I said walking back towards Rafe.

"Don't go" he said.

"I will be back later. I promise" I said.

I drove to the Wreck in complete silence. I got out of my car looking around before walking to the door. I put the key into the door unlocking it. I quickly turned on the lights to the Wreck. I sighed looking around putting my keys on the counter.

Sometime later my parents had came in. I looked up to see two officers walking in.

"Miss Carrera" one said.

"Good afternoon" I said.

"Mind if we talk?" The other asked. "At the station."

I nodded turning to my parents. They hurriedly walked over.

"What is going on?" My mother asked.

"We have some questions for your daughter about the death of the sheriff" one said.

"I'll be fine" I said to the two.

I followed them outside getting into my car driving to the station. We walked to a room as they both sat across from me.

"It is to our understanding you were on the strip when Peterkin was shot" the female said.

I nodded.

"What were you doing there?" She asked.

"Helping Ward out with something" I said.

"What was on the plane?" She asked.

"I don't know" I said lying.

"Who did you see shoot the sheriff?" She asked.

I looked at the male who was writing my statement down.

"I didn't see anybody shoot her. I closed my eyes when I heard a gunshot" I said. "I opened them to see John B with a gun in his hand."

"Do you mind if we bring you to a different room?" She asked.

I nodded my head following them to see a polygraph machine. I sat at the chair as they hooked up my arm to the machine.

"Is this really necessary?" I asked.

"Yes" she said.

I put my right hand in my pocket looking for the tack. They began asking questions, same as the ones as before.

"Did John B kill the sheriff?" She asked.

I pressed my thumb onto the tac.

"Yes" I responded as the machine stayed still.

Hours passed by until I was allowed to leave. I drove over to the Cameron residence walking in. I looked around finding Rose in the kitchen.

"Where is Ward?" I asked.

"Office. What happened?" She asked.

"Cops questioned me today" I said

I walked up the steps looking into Rafe's room to find it neat with the bed made. I knocked on the door of the office hearing a faint 'come in'. I slowly opened the door stepping instantly telling him what had happened.

As I drove to my house I thought about what I had just done, what I had just done to my life. It hadn't dawned on me that I no longer was a Carrera, I was now a Cameron. I chose to protect the family as if it were my own. I walked through the front door.

"Why the hell did the cops need you for questioning!" My father asked.

"It was about who killed Peterkin" I said.

"How would you know?" He asked.

"I was there" I said.

"What?" My mother said.

"Listen I just need to lay down" I said.

"What happened?" She asked.

"John B shot Peterkin!" I yelled. "I had her blood on my hands trying to stop her from bleeding out and I couldn't save her!"

I felt tears fall down my face remembering the way she knew she was going to die.

"I couldn't save her" I cried.

My father rushed over wrapping his arms around me.

"Shh shh it''ll be okay" he whispered.

"I need to lay down" I said.

He let go of me as they both watched me walk up the stairs. I laid in my bed rolling around until I could fall asleep. About a minute after falling asleep my phone began ringing. I took the phone out of my pocket squinting at the screen. Rafe.

"What" I said.

"Where are you?" He asked.

"My house" I responded.

"Come home" he said.

Home. I hung up the phone looking around. Walking back down the steps I grabbed my keys and left. Driving to Tannyhill I decided to blast music.

As I pulled in I looked around. Smiling slightly as this was now my life.