Ch 24: Wilmington

I rolled over being awaken by a text. I grabbed my phone squinting at the text. It was from Ward.

Tell Rafe to not come home. Cops everywhere he needs to hide. I'll come to him

I began shaking Rafe.

"Get up. Did your dad text you?" I asked.

"What?" He groaned.

"Check your phone now" I said.

He shot up grabbing his phone as he rubbed his eyes.

"I need to get you out of here now" I said.

We both shot up putting clothes on when a knock on the door was heard.

"Kildare County Sheriffs Department!" Was yelled.

My eyes went wide.

"Stay up here and don't move" I said. "I'll get you out of here."

I walked down the stairs to the door as they continued to knock. I opened the door to two officers.

"Hello officers what can I do for you?" I asked smiling.

"We are looking for Rafe Cameron, mind if we come in?" One asked.

"Of course" I said stepping aside. "Why Rafe Cameron? May I ask?"

They handed me a piece of paper which appeared to be a warrant.

"It is to my understanding you are in a relationship with him, yes?" The female asked.

She looked to my hand looking at the ring.

"Or should I say fiancé?" She asked.

"I am" I said. "I've also known him my whole life."

"We wanted to talk with you more about your statement originally made" the male said sitting down as the female looked through the kitchen.

"I'd feel more comfortable if you were both questioning me" I said.

The female quickly came and sat beside her partner. I sat on the loveseat facing them.

"Originally you said you didn't see anything, why is that?" She asked.

"Why does it matter?" I asked. "I spent hours being questioned, why am I being questioned again?"

"Just wanted to verify everything" he said.

"Mind if we take a look around?" She asked.

"I'm sorry but I do. If you want to take a look around I will need to see a warrant for that" I said.

"You don't need to protect them, you can tell us the truth" she said.

"I've told you everything that I know. I'm not protecting anybody, I'm telling the truth" I said.

"You can be arrested for withholding information Miss Carrera" he said.

"I have nothing to hide" I said standing up. "Thank you for your visit and I am sorry I don't know where he is."

I watched through the blinds as they got into their squad car. I ran up the stairs to Rafe shaking on my bed.

"Hey it's going to be okay. There's probably somebody out there waiting for me to leave. You're going to sit in the trunk" I said.

"Won't they see me?" He asked.

"I'm going to take my mom's car" I said. "Um we'll just have to lose them."

~

We walked up to Barry's as he sat outside.

"Look at what we got here. Country club and Kook princess" he said. "What y'all got goin on?"