17

"Perks of being a good person..?"

Our good time lasted as long as it took Mr. Carrera to clean the place. After that, he drove us out and tried to get Kie home but she refused. We headed back to chateau but the partying stayed at the Wreck and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep in the car before we even arrived. I don't remember walking inside at least, but somehow I woke up at the couch with JJ's arm around me like so many times before.

Now we're at the dock, testing the stolen drone to see if it actually works. Again I was woken up way too early considering it's summer break, because apparently Pope has to get to work and we have to test the drone before that.

I watch the little screen that shows what the drone is filming. Kie and John B went to the water and are now making faces underwater in front of the drone.

"What's this?" JJ asks every five seconds when he finds something new from the laptop. I don't understand a thing about the drone or how it works, jut the way JJ asks all thise questions excited makes me smile.

"Don't touch that", Pope strictly says. "I'm trying to work out this thing."

Soon JJ gets bored at just watching and sits down next to me, leaning back to the fence around the dock like I do. "You could try to help too", he points out, turning his head to the side so he's facing me.

"I'm too tired for this", I sigh closing my eyes.

"Well, sitting isn't gonna wake you up", he says and stands up again. How can this boy have so much energy when it's like eight in the morning? "Get up."

I groan but let JJ grab my hands and pull me up. Still holding me from going back to the ground he turns to Pope. "God bless geeks, Pope. Truly man", he glances at the screen over Pope's shoulder. "What would we do without you to control the drone?"

"Technically it's not a drone, it's a ROV-"

"Shut up, shut up", JJ cuts him off. "It's too early for that."

"Finally something I agree on", I say, rubbing my still quite tired eyes.

"Hey, once we get footage of the wreck we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file formal claim", John B says from the water, sharing the plan with us once again. Apparently after I fell asleep, they had planned every step for after we find the gold. How we will get it up and all. But the plan still had a lot of holes, one of them being ours unsure knowledge of if the gold actually exists.

"It's bullshit." So true JJ, so true. "Why do we have to do that?"

"We've been through this like a hundred times!" Pope snaps at him. "The maritime salvage law. You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"I know, I know", JJ rolls his eyes. "It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro."

"As soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp", John B says a little too confidently. If we keep talking like this, karma will come and do it's job.

"How do you know all that?" Kie asks.

"'Cause my dad said it like a million times."

"Yeah that's fair."

"This tether is like really long", Pope says as he pulls the drone up from the water. "In the wrong weather it could get pushed around."

"Then we'll go at dead calm", John B states. As if on cue, thunder rumbles somewhere in the distance, telling us this is not the day. And that's more than perfect if you ask me.

"A slack tide?" Kie asks while climbing up from the water.

"So now we just gotta wait around for the right weather", Pope looks at the sky where the thunder came from and I follow his gaze, only to see dark clouds gathering over the water not too far from here. "And today is not that day."