The Lucky Compass

The next morning Jo had to wake up super early for her shift at the country club.

She was told that she was getting a slight promotion.

She rushed through the employee entrance and made her way to her boss's office.

"Come in."

She heard softly as she knocked on the door.

She opened the door slowly and made her way inside.

"Miss Mills. Due to the hurricane it has put a lot of people out and most of the employees here have to go on leave. It was a toss up between you and your mother for who would get this opportunity. You seem to the more reliable out of the two of you. This hotel and club needs someone who can manage the books and get the other departments back up and running for Midsummers. Would you be up to the challenge?" her boss asked her.

"Yes ma'am I can do it." Jo said confidently.

"Alright then. Everything you need is right here. Let's make this the best Midsummers there ever has been."

Jo quickly grabbed everything that was needed and rushed out of the office.

After she got everything organized she started walking through the lobby to go towards the restaurant part of the club.

"Joanna?"

She looked up from her paperwork to see who called her name.

Her eyes widened and her face paled when she seen who was standing right in front of her.

"Rafe?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She quickly cleared her throat and tried to look unaffected as her ex boyfriend walked towards her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him quickly.

"I thought you were staying at Chapel Hill for the summer."

He stepped closer to her until she could smell the mint from his breath.

"I just came back today. My dad wanted me back to help out. I missed you." he whispered in her ear as his fingers trailed down her arm slowly.

She stepped back away from him.

"You made your choice-"

He cut her off as he grabbed her hands and pulled her to him.

"Let me buy you lunch please." he suggested.

"I have a lot of work to do. I have to get this place ready for Midsummers."

She played out the excuse.

His grip on her hand grew tighter causing her to wince slightly.

"Rose is on the committee so it won't be a problem."

He told her as he dragged out outside to the patio to grab a table.

"Fine. Just lunch." she told him as she sat down across from him.

She gave him a glance over.

She could tell there was something different about him.

He was more fidgety and looked like he didn't want to sit still.

The reason why they brought up was because of the drugs and by the way he was looking he was still doing them.

"So what was with that pogue friend of yours putting a gun to Top's head?" Rafe finally asked as the waiter put down two drinks.