𝟒𝟓. 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐊

𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍 shooting down my spine when I awoke the next morning, I felt almost comforted. Last night was, what I would call, a weak point in my life since I never, ever, cry –which isn't even my own choice. 

Keeping quiet, I stretched my entire body, feeling my body go numb for a split, but almost needed, second. Pulling a sweater over my figure, a chill ran down my spine as I peeled myself off of the booth of The Wreak. The only place we could crash without suspicions. 

I could hear JJ and Pope talking to each other quietly, which Kie stirred quietly. Shuffling towards them, I combed my fingers through my hair in hopes of taming the crazy mess. 

"They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope continued as he leaned against the window frame. 

"Let's hope," I spoke up, causing both boys to look at me. "You know, we were in that car," 

"They're probably looking for us too," Kie added as she stopped beside me. 

"I guess I can check fugitive off my bucket list," I joked as JJ let out a soft laugh. 

"Well," Pope began, "If we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," And with that, he walked away leaving us with one question: how do we find him before they do?

"Pope?" JJ questioned as he slipped a pair of keys into his pocket. 

"I'm going to get gas for the boat," He replied as he moved past us and towards the door.

"Hey, be careful," Kie told him, but he stayed silent. 

Turning to JJ and me, he said, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late," Before he walked away.

Glancing at JJ then Kie, I furrowed my eyebrows, which they both did as well. Kie finally stood up and rushed out the door, clearly upset with Pope. Before I could follow him, JJ grabbed my forearm. 

"JJ," I groaned as I stopped. 

"I just want to know if you're okay... from the other night," He asked sincerely. 

"I'm fine," I answered, then added, "Seriously," When he gave me a questioning look. "It was a bad moment for me and it's not going to happen again. I'm perfectly fine, I swear,"

Rolling his eyes, he sighed. "I don't care if you're fine, I care if you're going to do something that would leave me worrying. Like try and find JB on you're own and somehow get arrested,"

Shrugging my arm out of his grasp, I gave him a sly smile. "I've never gotten arrested before," I moved towards the door and stopped, "And I'm definitely not going to start now,"

As I stepped outside, JJ following close behind, I could see Kie walking back towards The Wreak, Pope gone in the distance. Just as I opened my mouth, a large helicopter flew overhead. 

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asked from next to me, to which I shrugged in response. 

My shoes scraped against the stone steps of my house. My breath shook as I laid my hand on the doorknob. I wanted to walk in and head straight for my mom, to hug her and tell her that everything is going to be alright, but I couldn't. 

I needed to walk in, change quickly, and get out. 

Pushing the door open softly, I took a second to hear if anybody– wanted or unwanted– was inside, and when the coast was clear, I entered. Heading straight for my room, the floorboards squeaked quietly causing me to wince with every step.