𝟕. 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐏

𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃𝐒 and bongos filled my ears as I laid stretched out on the couch, eyes closed. Despite the events of last night, the five of us were back together and enjoying each other's company. Kie was next to me, tapping on her bongos that she keeps at John B's, while Pope sat across from us, reading a book that he brought, and JJ was throwing rocks across the yard from the circular table outside that he was leaning on.

John B pushed off of the railing and turned to us, "Look, I'm callin' it off. All right?" I opened my eyes and looked at him, shocked. John B always loved adventures and I never thought he would call one-off. "Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS," He told us and I sat up and leaned against the arm of the couch.

"And you believed her?" JJ asked harshly as he held the rocks in his hand and sat down on the table.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ," John B shot back quickly, a large walking stick in his hands.

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop," JJ remarked as he threw another pebble away from him.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out," He explained, while Pope, Kie, and I stayed quiet, listening to the two boys bicker. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun," He spat rudely and I knew that this was going to end badly.

"You know what I should have done?" JJ asked, but answered his question, "Just let Topper drown your ass,"

"JJ!" I yelled quickly, as John B looked stunned.

"Topper was gonna drown me?" He asked sarcastically and I stayed quiet.

"Sure looked like it," JJ recalled and John B chuckled, "Seriously, have you looked in a mirror?" He asked and he was right, John B had a nasty black eye that wasn't getting any better.

"Tell me some more. Come on," John B pushed as JJ walked away from the table and leaned against a few large balls that were hanging on a string.

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ asked as he sighed, "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" He said angrily as he hit one of the balls, causing it to spin around as he walked away swearing.

"Look, it's okay!" I exclaimed, hoping to calm them both down but JJ only got angrier.

"No, it's not okay!" He shouted at both John B and me, "It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it," He said as he pointed to John B who was leaning against the couch where I was sitting. "I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go," He continued as he looked at Pope who had set his book down, "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you--"

"Seriously," Kie muttered, clearly annoyed, but JJ ranted on.

"I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway, so why would you bother?" JJ looked back at John B, "But you, y/n, and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! We really don't, all right?" John B shook his head, but JJ wasn't done. "And I know it didn't use to be that way for you, both of you,"

I looked away from the boys, focusing on the ground and my dirty white vans. He's right, it didn't use to be that way. My mom and I weren't always in debt and we didn't have to rely on tips at a country club just so we could buy an extra item at the grocery store.

"I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about it," John B repeated as he walked away from JJ, pushing him out of his way harshly, "Just get out of my way, bro,"

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan," JJ insisted and I knew that it was something either illegal or wrong, "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right? There's scuba gear,"

"I don't think--" Pope started but he cut him off as JJ continued to explain his plan.

"We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man. You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?" JJ finished and that's where he hit John B. He agreed to the plan and walked away and towards the dock.

I got up from the couch and walked inside to grab a beer from the fridge. The power was still out, which means that the drinks inside wouldn't be as cold as they usually were. We had them sitting in a bucket of ice, but even that was melting from the heat. I pulled out a bottle and wiped the dripping water off with a towel as the porch door opened. "Wanna pass me one?" JJ asked as he walked towards me.

I reached in the fridge and grabbed him a beer, wiping it off and handing it to him without another word, "Are you okay?" He asked as I popped off the bottle cap.

"Ya," I mumbled, "You?"

He took a sip of his drink and leaned against the counter, "Just a little worked up about the cop. They shouldn't be trusted, they only care about themselves," JJ explained as he ran a hair through his messy blond hair, "Remember the cops from the motel, they can't be trusted,"

JJ was right. The cops took the money and kept some of it, saying that everyone needs to dip their beak. Honestly, after that, I lost all respect for cops in the Outer Banks, whether they were good or not. "You're right, but it's JB. His dad's gone and they're threatening foster care, what do you expect him to do," JJ shrugged, "What if it was you instead of him, being forced to leave your friends and change your entire life,"

"I would... try and get help with the case," He answered after a minute, rubbing a hand over his face. "I'm a terrible person,"

"You're not a terrible person, you just needed to look at it from a different perspective. Anyways, JB should be back and we can see if there's anything in the boat. And if there isn't, we go back to enjoying our summer, together," I said as I slowly moved towards the door.

Enjoying our last summer, together.

Sorry for the delay guys, i've been sick and asleep most of today. i've also started to rewatch teen wolf and yeah...

Please vote, comment, add to reading list and drop a follow to stay updated. i should have another chapter up later tonight if i'm feeling better.

Tell me what y'all think about it so far

Syd<3