thirty

John B pulls the boat right up to the beach. After laying anchor he comes back over to the bow to help me down.

"Okay, ready?" John B asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah."

"One, two..." I wince as John B lifts me up before placing me down on my own two feet.

"Hey, listen, we're gonna get some gas, find a phone, and get out of here, all right?" John B tells me.

"How are we gonna pay for the gas?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it. We'll figure it out," John B assures.

John B and I head into the city. I have no idea what his plans are to get the gas. Probably steal it for all I know. Like always I just have to trust him I guess.

We pass a couple eating on a bench. I never thought I'd be jealous of someone eating a sandwich.

"That looks so good," John B states. "I'm starving." I nod my head in agreement. "We gotta get some food. Follow my lead."

"Okay," I tell him.

We walk up to a small restaurant. People are eating out in a little courtyard. John B bumps into a waiter causing him to spill drinks on a guy. I let out a gasp.

The guy stands up very angry. "You idiot."

"I'm so sorry," the waiter tells him.

"Oh my God." I gasp as I look at the woman. "Your shoes!"

The guy takes his jacket off. "This is a $1,700 jacket!"

"I am so sorry," I tell the woman.

"A hundred percent on me. I'm sorry. I bumped into him,"  John B tells the guy.

"Is there anything I can do?" I ask the woman.

She doesn't notice as I grab the guy's money clip off of the table.

"So you're saying you're gonna pay for it?" the guy asks John B.

"I don't have any money. I'm broke," John B tells him.

The guy looks him up and down. "Of course you don't."

"Sir..." the waiter starts.

"Pathetic!" the guy tells John B.

"Let me talk to a manager, okay?" the waiter offers.

"I'm sorry," John B tells the guy again.

"No need for name-calling, sir," I tell the guy as we turn to walk away.

Once out of earshot John B asks, "Did you get it?"

"What are you talking about?" I question. I smile as I hold up the money clip. "You mean this?"

"Oh my God," John B remarks.

"I'll sugar mama you," I tease.

"I was hoping you would say that," John B tells me.

John B and I head to the closest gas station. I just want to get the gas and get back on the boat. We've been away from OBX for too long. I've been away from my sisters and the crew for too long.

"All right." John B clears his throat. "How many hot dogs you want?"

"Okay, like, fifty," I tell him as I hand him the cash.

"Fifty hot dogs?" John B asks.

"A hundred. I don't care," I tell him.

I fill the gas cans as John B gets the hot dogs. The last thing I expect is to see the couple from the restaurant walking down the street towards the gas station.