five

The air conditioning in Tannyhill hasn't been working since the hurricane. That means the only place with air conditioning is the Druthers. Sarah and I slept on the boat last night.

It's early when I hear metal clanging.

"Wheezie, shut up," Sarah says.

I sit up and see John B with the scuba tanks. "You're not Wheezie." I smile.

John B smiles. "Correct." He sighs. "I'm sorry."

"What are you doing?" Sarah asks.

"Uh... I'm just dropping off some scuba gear," John B tells her. He looks semi concerned. "What are... what are you doing... here?"

"It's our boat," Sarah reminds him.

"It's also the only place with air conditioning," I explain.

John B nods. "Right."

"Did you, um... top up the tanks?" Sarah asks.

"Uh..." John B starts. I look at him wide eyed. "No. No, power's down, so the compressors were off."

"So, you're sneaking onto our boat at 5:00 a.m. with empty tanks?" Sarah asks. "I'll make sure to tell Ward."

"I'm just gonna drop these off," John B says.

I give him a look. "Yeah, yeah, the middle of the room is fine."

"Yeah, this is pretty much what he told me to do," John B says. He turns to leave.

"Bye," Sarah says.

John B turns back. "Actually, you know, what... what exactly were you gonna tell your dad?"

Sarah chuckles. "Nothing much. Just that you poached our scuba gear."

"Okay, fuck. I borrowed it for a few hours. Okay? And then I brought it back intact and unharmed," John B states.

"Minus air," Sarah points out.

"Look, please don't tell him. Okay? He'll fire me," John B says.

"What are you gonna do? Pull a gun on me?" Sarah asks.

"I didn't know JJ would do that," John B admits.

"That's convenient to believe." Sarah scoffs as she looks at me. "Maybe you should get better friends."

"Just leave him alone, Sarah," I state.

"Maybe ones who don't poach," Sarah offers.

"Look, please, just don't tell him. Okay?" John B pleads.

I give Sarah a look. "Relax. She's not gonna tell our dad anything. Your secret's safe with us, JB."

John B smiles at me. "Thank you, MC."

"Okay, you can leave now," Sarah tells him.

John B nods. "Right. Yeah. Uh... I'll leave... I'll leave that right there."

Sarah looks at me once John B is gone. "You knew he took the tanks didn't you?"

I smile. "Guilty as charged."

"You know Topper hates that you're friends with Pogues," Sarah tells me.

I nod my head. "Especially John B."

"So why are you still friends with them?" Sarah asks.

I shrug my shoulders. "How could I ditch the kid that taught me to surf?" Sarah laughs lightly as she shakes her head. "You're not gonna tell dad right?"

"No. What's the point in getting John B in trouble?" Sarah tells me.

I hold out my pinky. "Pinky promise."