forty nine

Rafe and I hide in the back of the truck as it slows down. They get the all clear and we start moving again. Rafe and I sit up. I try to keep my distance but it's hard in such a small space.

"I told you we just had to work together," Rafe tells me. "All right. Listen, I'm headed out to my boat, okay? I can give you a ride out, drop you wherever, somewhere safe. One thing though." I don't say anything. "Look at me. I know your friends are on the island and Sarah. I'm not helping them. All right? I can't trust them, okay? I'll give you a ride out, not them. Okay?"

I nod my head. "I just want to get off the island."

"That's smart," Rafe tells me. "You know, you're at least half Kook. Always have been."

"Shut up," I tell him. "We don't need to pretend to be caring siblings again. Just get me off this island."

Rafe and I make it to the harbor. I look around making sure no one notices us.

"Come on. My boat's down here," Rafe tells me.

I follow Rafe trying to look as normal as I can in a pair of pajamas.

"Make sure your shoes are off," Rafe tells me.

He gets onto the nicest catamarans I've ever seen. It's a Lagoon 620. Should have known Rafe is already spending the gold Dad stole.

"Okay, we should have enough juice to get us to Saint Lucia, no problem," Rafe tells me. He realizes I'm still standing on the dock. "Hey, get in the boat." I still don't move. "Maisie!"

"You're not gonna pull anything if I get in?" I ask.

"No, I'm not gonna pull anything, okay?" Rafe tells me. "I'm trying to do you a solid here. You really wanna be back there with Singh, or do you wanna be somewhere safe? Can you help me with the bowline?" I finally get on the boat. "Thank you."

I walk down towards the bow. "Hey, uh, I... I can't get it."

"What?" Rafe asks."

"I need some help!" I shout.

Rafe comes down to help me. "Move."

As Rafe leans over the railing, I take the opportunity to push him off the boat. I run up to the flybridge.

"Maisie!" Rafe shouts.

I ignore him as I get the boat started.

"Maisie! Where are you going?" Rafe yells.

"I've gotta help my friends!" I shout.

"You don't know what you're doing!" Rafe warns. "I'll find you, Maisie! I'll find you! Maisie, you're gonna regret this shit. Maisie! You're done!"

Now that I'm done with Rafe I can get to the crew. I send a text to the phone I know they have. "Meet me at the pin at 6:15. P4L."

I dock the boat and wait anxiously for 6:15. I see someone that looks like John B. I step down on the dock.

"JB?"

He turns and sees me. I run towards him. John B wraps his arms tightly around me.

"John B."

"I'm so glad you're safe," John B tells me.

I feel tears slipping down my cheeks. I pull away from John B and put my hands on his cheeks. "I didn't think I'd see you ever again."

"Yeah, but I'm here now. Okay?" John B tells me. He pulls me into him. "It's all right. It's all right."

I hear laughing. I pull away and see the crew running towards me. Pope and Cleo hug me first. Followed by Kie, Sarah, and JJ.