|Chapter VIII|

"You're late, idiots." The young woman noted as she started to wipe her hands on her jeans, before she pulled a couple of salvageable stakes out of the vampire corpses.

"I definitely didn't know that you were in town, tree trunk." Jeremy noted and Cedar rolled her eyes at the nickname and she shook out her jacket, as wood chips fell out of it. "Did Ric call you too?"

"I called her." Jayden cut in and Jeremy looked over at his best friend in utter disbelief. "Look, you are a great tracker Jer, so am I. But now we have a werewolf pack to deal with and two missing students from the school. We need two hunters."

"Screw you Raelson." Jeremy muttered under his breath as he looked back at Cedar Atlas, who was dragging vampire corpses into the alleyway behind the convenience store.

"Let's get these vamps out of the public eye, yeah?" Cedar asked and they nodded slightly at her, as they each took two of the corpses and she dragged two as well. The three of them threw them all into the nearby dumpster.

Cedar dumped a couple of bottles of whiskey onto the bodies and lit them up quickly, as Cedar shut the dumpster door on the fire, so that the smoke would not be spreading. Jayden had already gone back to the car, leaving Cedar and Jeremy with an awkward tension in the air.

"Killian and Jenna. They are both together, going to school out here. I happened to be in the area for a job that Killian handed over to me. Then I got a call from Jayden." Cedar had never been one to stray far from the point in small talk, and Jeremy was sensing it again.

"How are they?" Jeremy asked and Cedar smiled a little bit, a genuine one which was a little strange.

"Right behind you." Cedar spoke up and she nodded to the left and Jeremy turned around to see Killian Atlas, his son and he smiled at the sight. The teenager looked exactly the same as Jeremy had when he was that age and the teenager looked up with a small grin on his face.

Next to him was the girl that was the spitting image of Cedar who was all of what Cedar used to be when Jeremy, Jayden and the gang had met her back in Mystic Falls, headphones and all.

Jeremy waved at them both and Killian left the other teenagers behind and he jogged over to them both and Killian went straight to Cedar, who smiled a little bit at him, as Jenna was quick to follow her older brother over to them. “Hey kids.” She murmured and the teenagers who was taller than both of them now, hugged their mom and Cedar smiled a bit at them both.

“Why doesn’t he just go to the Salvatore Boarding School? Actually for that matter, why do neither of them go to the school then?” Jeremy asked quietly and Cedar glared at him, as Killian awkwardly looked at his dad. “Hey kid.” Jeremy said and Killian’s punch took his dad completely off guard, as Jeremy stumbled back against the wall.

“In town for an hour as usual, I am assuming.” Killian’s voice was full of both pain and familiar fury, as he turned and walked away from his parents with his backpack slung over his shoulders and Cedar sighed.

“He hates me?” Jeremy asked as Cedar shook her head at him. Cedar handed him a bag of ice to put against his face, as they walked toward the parking lot where Killian was catching the bus home from school with his friends.

“Killian doesn’t hate you, Jer. He just doesn’t know you. I raised him and you spent most of his early years on the road. Hunting and keeping people safe, I was his constant parent. I taught a bunch of his self-defense classes and he learned quicker than either of us ever did. As for why he doesn’t go to the Salvatore Boarding School, he wants a life outside of being a vampire hunter-werewolf hybrid.” Cedar pointed out and Jeremy looked at his cheek in one of the sideview mirrors as they walked through the cars.