Chapter 1: California Dreamin'

🎶Song of The Chapter: "Sand In My Shoes by Dido🎶

I've still got sand in my shoes

And I can't shake the thought of you

I should get on, forget you

But why would I want to

I know we said goodbye

Anything else would've been confused but I wanna see you again

~Lyrics from "Sand In My Shoes" by Dido

"You know we're gonna miss you here this summer Carrera!" says Evelyn, Kiara's co-worker turned friend.

"I'll miss you guys too, but I'll be back the second week of August, I promise." Kiara says.

"So you're really taking Casey back home with you huh?" The auburn haired girl asked.

Kiara takes a deep-ish breath before replying "Yeah, I think it's time, I mean he's heard all of the stories that I've told him about the Pogues and the OBX, so I figured, why the hell not?"

Evelyn frowns and nods her head jokingly.

Kiara chuckles, "What? What's that face for?".

"Nothing."

"What Evelyn? Just say it!"

"Isn't your ex a "pogue"?" she air quotes.

"JJ right?" she asks.

Kiara immediately looks down towards the ground at the mention of his name.

"Yeah...he is." she avoids eye contact with Evelyn.

Evelyn just raises her eyebrows and quickly changes the subject. She's heard all about Kiara's relationship with JJ. That's kind of what bonded them in their first meeting. They had both just gone through emotional break-ups, and were sneaking off to the beach to smoke a joint during their lunch break, where they caught each other. The two have been great friends and confidants to one another since.

"So...you think your wack ass parents are going to like Casey then?" she asks.

"Oh, please..." Kiara chuckles. "...they are going to adore him, he's basically their blueprint for what they wanted for me, a true Kook through and through. I can't actually believe one weasled their way into my love life, but here we are." Kiara laughs.

"Well...this should be interesting then." Evelyn says.

Kiara's phone goes off, and she realizes it's time to head back to her place to grab her luggage and pack a few last minute items. She put in to leave early a month ago so that she could get an earlier and direct flight into Raleigh.

Evelyn makes a funny sad face and Kiara surprisingly opens her arms to hug her friend.

"Text me or call me with ALL of the tea okay Carrera?" Evelyn says over Kiara's shoulder.

"You got it Aldridge!" Kiara pulls back and smiles at her.

"Good, now get the hell out of here and have fun!" Evelyn teases.

"Will do!" Kiara says walking away.

Kiara walks back into the building to wave bye to her boss, Nellie.

She gets to her office, and peaks in. "See ya in August Nell!" she says waving to her boss.

"Kiara! Wait a second."

"Yeah?" Kiara asks.

"My cousin Avery, works at the new Outer Banks Marine Life Rescue Center, and they are always looking for volunteers. I just wanted to let you know in case you were ever bored this summer and wanted something to do." Nellie hands Kiara her cousin's business card.