Chapter 16: We Fight As Hard As We Love

🎶Song of The Chapter: "Love You Anyway" by Luke Combs🎶

"If your kiss turned me to stone

I'd be a statue standing tall in Ancient Rome

And if your touch shattered me like glass

I'd be in pieces trying to make the breaking last

If it took one look to turn my days to night

At least I'd have the stars that sparkle in your eyes

There's just some things that leave a man no choice

Like a compass needle needing its true North

Even if I knew the day we met you'd be the reason this heart breaks

Oh, I'd love you anyway

I know just trying to write a song

I run the risk that I could get your perfect wrong

And well, I guess what I'm trying to say

Is there ain't words been made could shoulder so much weight

And if you turned your back on me and walked away

Not a thing about the way I feel would change

There's just some things that leave a man no choice

Like a compass needle needing its true North

Even if I knew the day we met you'd be the reason this heart breaks

Oh, I'd love you anyway"

~Lyrics from: "Love You Anyway" by Luke Combs

----------------------------------------------------------

Kiara's alarm wakes her at 7 a.m. on the dot. This is going to be her first day at the OBX Marine Life Conservation Center. She talked with Nellie's cousin Avery, and they told her they would be thrilled to have her. She spoke to them back in November after she was just about done healing from her accident, and they told her it would be best if she started after the New Year. The day came sooner than expected even though it's March, but Kiara knew she was ready. She's just thankful she gets a chance to continue doing what she loves and has a passion for back here in the OBX.

JJ however, has had a rough go with his business the past couple months. It's winter and tourist season usually dies down around then, but they haven't been meeting their numbers all winter, and even the last part of autumn. It's been hard keeping the boats up and running in the chilly winter months, and JJ's had to have repairs done to all three of his boats. His two at the business, and the one him and Kiara live on. He's come home many evenings frustrated and overworked from trying to keep up the business, and Kiara tries to lift up his spirits, but some nights he's more irritable than others.

Last night was one of them. Although not angry at each other, Kiara still felt alone in the bed without his arms around her.

"Here." he says bringing her in her coffee he made her.

"Thanks." she says. "You feeling a little better since last night?" she asks.

"I'll be fine Kie, don't worry about me." he says, clearly not wanting to further discuss how he's feeling with her.

"Jayj, I do worry about you. I just want to make sure you're okay and we're okay." she says turning around and putting her arms around his bare abdomen, the side of her head resting in the middle of chest.

"Of course we're okay." he says, running his hands up and down her back.

"Okay." she says, looking up at him, before she kisses him softly.