Prologue

Kiara POV

I don't remember much from the night John B and Sarah went missing, but I do remember crying myself to sleep. 

It took two weeks for the police to declare John B and Sarah dead. A week later memorial services were held at the cemetery and they were given two head stones, empty graves. I went with my family and stood next to Pope as we struggled to keep ourselves together. When I noticed JJ was missing my heart sank even deeper. 

Ward was arrested and convicted, but he paid off bail and was set free. As for Rafe, he walked free. His dad took the blame, and no one suspected anything of him and we were too full of grief and anger that no one believed us when we told them the truth.

After that night things were not the same. A part of us had been lost. I didn't hang with Pope or JJ the rest of the summer. I kept to myself keeping my mind busy and off of my dead friends. When I  saw my friends around, we were like strangers walking past each-other giving meaningless half smiles. I don't think JJ ever really accepted John B's death, he thinks he's still alive, and maybe a part of me believes that to. Maybe somewhere he's still out there. 

JJ lives with Pope and his family, which is good. He needed a strong father figure. Pope and I never really talked about our kiss. We pretended like it never happened. I never should have kissed him. 

Most of the summer was a blur. I mostly worked at the restaurant. Tomorrow is the first day of junior year I hate school but need the change of scenery. I know it won't be the same without John B but the only thing I can do now is move on, even if it means I have to take the journey alone.